Death Metal review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
DigiTech: Death Metal

Purchased from: Rieman Music

I feel like a real idiot because I was using this pedal to find my own unique sound but I was using it with a Line 6 Spider III which really has the sound I wanted now that I realize it. Like I said earlier this thing had a terrible hum when the batteries were changed and you can't really EQ at all with this thing. There needs to be more variety in a pedal if I am going to use it often during recording and gigs and such. This is good for high gain though.

After messing around with this pedal for about a month or two I realized that this wasn't the sound for me. One good thing came out of the experience though: I knew that what I was looking for was something completely different. I think what would have made this pedal better for me would have been more tone-shaping options and a distortion level knob. Something more like a Boss Metal Zone would have worked better but even then that is not the pedal for me.

This pedal didn't break down on me at all except for once when I was just messing around and all of the sudden it wouldn't turn on. I turned off all of my gear and tried it again and the pedal was then functional. Other than that one incident it had worked just fine, (despite the humming), until I sold it. I think it would be very wise to have back-up to this pedal during a gig and I would also strongly recommend having a gate in your rack as well.

Getting a good sound out of this load of metal is pretty easy just due to fact you don't have to mess around with any morph kknobs or distortion selection features. The only bummer is that you can't adjust the amount of distortion coming through the box. There is only a volume and three EQ knobs. This pedal is good for a lot of dist. But it is pretty useless if you want to do tone shaping. When I purchased it it had this really bad hum when it was active but then Irealized it still had the factory battery in it. So I took it out and put in a new one but it still hummed like crazy. The circuitry was f--ked up or something.

explosionate
    You guys are retarded. If you are going to review something, for the love of God don't base it off your own personal bias. Review it for what it is. I would like to know the negative aspects of this pedal, but I can't take any of the negative reviews seriously; they just go on about how they hate metal or distortion which does not help anybody. Also, if this is the only pedal you have used, how can you possibly write a review if you have no experience and comparison to other effects pedals? Grow up!
    Kurai-sama
    ^ I concur. Firstly, the pedal is called fricking death metal . If you despise metal, or copious amounts of distortion, you've been looking into the wrong section, and thus your points of argument are essentially null. There are different pedals (and amps) marketed towards different crowds. The Boss DS-1, for example, is a more general piece for the gamut of guitarists. The Digitech Grunge is, well, rather obvious in terms of intended market. Same with this one. Please, don't do the whole "omfg dis petal iz ghey" or "OMG LOLOLOLOL I LUV DIS PETAL IMMA CRY IF I LEWZ IT" thing. The polarization is rather annoying, about how it "obviously" is the best/worst pedal ever. Form a balanced opinion, insert a coin, and try again. And the reviewer obsessing about cow rape has something on his mind. Weird. As for my personal opinion, it's great for my band's style of music (doom/death metal with Vedic overtones), given our tendency to employ extreme amounts of distortion and harsh dissonance. It does as advertised: "we turned the gain to 11 and ripped the knob off". I noted a bit of buzzing, but that's fine by me, considering the overall intentional noise and feedback of playing in my band. Hence, I say a 9/10 for me, 8/10 for most other people.
    arnob_oblique
    bodom0420 wrote: Not the best pedal made by Digitech thats for sure. It makes a buzzing noise when you have your volume cranked. Not bad but seriously there are way better pedals out their. I'll sell anyone my death metal pedal for 10-20 dollars.
    Sell it to me dumass!! :S :S
    the agony scene
    Kurai-sama wrote: ^ I concur. Firstly, the pedal is called fricking death metal. If you despise metal, or copious amounts of distortion, you've been looking into the wrong section, and thus your points of argument are essentially null. There are different pedals (and amps) marketed towards different crowds. The Boss DS-1, for example, is a more general piece for the gamut of guitarists. The Digitech Grunge is, well, rather obvious in terms of intended market. Same with this one. Please, don't do the whole "omfg dis petal iz ghey" or "OMG LOLOLOLOL I LUV DIS PETAL IMMA CRY IF I LEWZ IT" thing. The polarization is rather annoying, about how it "obviously" is the best/worst pedal ever. Form a balanced opinion, insert a coin, and try again. And the reviewer obsessing about cow rape has something on his mind. Weird. As for my personal opinion, it's great for my band's style of music (doom/death metal with Vedic overtones), given our tendency to employ extreme amounts of distortion and harsh dissonance. It does as advertised: "we turned the gain to 11 and ripped the knob off". I noted a bit of buzzing, but that's fine by me, considering the overall intentional noise and feedback of playing in my band. Hence, I say a 9/10 for me, 8/10 for most other people.
    listen to this guy only complaint for me is the pedal tends to kill pinch harmonics on the low e for me i have to work alot harder to get them.
    g graas
    well i was thinkin about getting a distortion pedal and i like to play like MEGADETH and METALLICA stuff my only question is this pedal good for that kinda stuff