Death Metal review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Death Metal

Price paid: C$ 20

I use it with an LTD EC-50 with Road Hog cables through an older model Fender Frontman 15R and a Vox AD30VT. I sounds horrible through the Vox, but that is entirely the amp's fault. Through the lowly Fender, this thing roars. There is an audible hum through the amp, though it's not very prominent. I play some of everything withing the blues/jazz/rock/metal range, but I have no illusions as to what this pedal does best: crushing metal. A few reviews I've read of this product are disappointed with the intensity of the tone or the lack of variety. These people clearly did not read the label. This pedal is good for some of the heavier Pantera stuff, Lamb Of God, Death, Warbringer, Slayer, and everything on up to Grindcore. If you play anything like those, this pedal will suit you well. The only downside to this pedal is that it does not do the high-range any favours. Like I mentioned, it's good for crushing metal, so if you're looking for something to give you high-flying solos, look elsewhere. Overall, this pedal will suit any kind of music you play, so long as that music is relatively modern metal. I can't complain, because I got it for 25$. Versatility is an issue, but for a truly versatile pedal, you will be forced to pay an absolute minimum of $100-$150 CAD before taxes.

This is a very specific Tool for a very specific job. That job is bone-crushing riffage. If you're looking for more, look elsewhere. That's that. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably have a look at a wider variety of pedals. Having said that, If I found another one of these at a good price I'd jump on it. It's definitely provided enough entertainment to pay for itself twenty times over.

I'm the second person to own this pedal. it's previous owner used it well (several years I think), so it's got some cosmetic damage (chipped paint, which is quite a feat since the finish is several milimeters thick all over the pedal, worn rubber pad, etc.) and he probably stomped on one of the plastic knobs because it's a bit crooked (still works like new, though! ). I can basically kick the crap out of this pedal and it'll keep going without a hitch. The pedal weighs a ton (the shell, at least, is solid steel) and is secured to the floor by a large rubber pad which keeps it from skidding around. I'd definitely use it without a backup, though I would not trust battery power.

I got this pedal used for 25$ with an AC adapter from a friend. At the time, this thing went for 69.99 CAD at the nearest music store. Did not include manual, box, or a battery, but this thing is still extremely easy to use. Hooray for stompbox simplicity. Has four knobs, level (volume), low, mid, and high. You can easily get intense mid scoops and top boosts by adjusting the mid and high knobs accordingly, and this thing will give you pretty ballsy bass even through weak amps. Overall, it's crude, but it's effective.