Death Metal review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Death Metal

Purchased from: Moeller Music

this pedal sounds very good with a tube power amp. a solid state amp is not a good match with this pedal. the mids on this pedal should def not be scooped alot. it does sound like low quality and fuzzy distortion if you do this. basically this pedal has the potential to have a good quality distortion for cheap. on some settings it does sound somewhat like a mesa recifier but still has a lot to go. it doesnt't rival any high gain amps like a mesa or a Krank but it has decent distortion for a low price. you can get a somewhat of a variety of sounds from it. I wish there was gain on this though. also the eq does change the sound alot.

this is a good pedal for post punk, hardcore, basically anything with a lot of distortion that doesnt't sound perfect. it sounds good but not amazing. if you run this though a tube amp I would def recommend it. if you are running it though a modelling amp and solid state amp I would def not. recommend it. though a solid state it sounds horrible, and wouldn't be suitable in a band situation. if I lost it or stole I would prob buy a new amp made for higher gain. a lot of reviews judge this pedal too heavily. It is a cheap $50 pedal so really you can't expect this pedal to sound perfect. it def would sound like a mesa, soldano, vht or other high quality amps, so don't expect it do. for the price it does fine.

It's heavy and it's metal, funnily enough. It seems very durable in terms of construction. I don't mainly gig, I just play for fun and I record music, but I'm sure it would stand up to many years of gigging, and I can't see it causing many problems for my own personal use.

This is the tone I have been trying to get from other pedals for a while now. I play a bit of Death Metal (Bloodbath, Morbid Angel, etc.) but could never get the right tone. Scoop the mids right out, boost low and high, crank the volume and it sounds like a big amp in a house a few doors down. Incredibly easy to get different tones out of it. I'm not sure what it is about this pedal, but I noticed a few others stated this as well. Powered by 120 watts of tube power it cuts through and annihilates your ears.