Death Metal review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Death Metal

Price paid: C$ 69.99

Purchased from: Melody Music Center

When I bought the pedal I was playing it out of a little Peavy Rage 158 amp, using my Squier Jag-master. The pedal is definatly not for amuatuers. I am no master but I bought it to experiment with feedback, and if you let it this stomp box with tear apart your songs. Now I use it out of a Marshall half-stack, and that makes the feedback a little more controlable. For me the effects always sounded great. The three main settings make it easy for one to get his or her perfect distoirion sound.

I play punk, rock, Grunge, and some folk. The pedal doesn't really match up with the later, but by adujusiting the settings. This pedal is great for metal (duh), but it's really good for playing Grunge. If you want to get a Soundgarden, Nirvana, or even early Local H feel this is the pedal for you. You can adujust the settings to get a really nuce fuzzy sound, and it sounds more Grunge like then the "Grunge" pedal (also from DigiTech). If this were stolen I would get another, but only if I could find it for the same price I did. Some places charge $100 for it, and personally that's a bit too much to be spending on effects. I love how you can just create these great sounding solos. Take even the most basic Johnny Cash solo, and it sounds great coming from this pedal. This is also a great pedal for a band to jam with. When I was looking for a pedal, the store workers let me try that amongst other pedals. I tried the DigiTech Grunge, The Death Metal, and a few other pedals from various manufactuers. I liked this one the best because it sounded the most raw, and it had the most distorted sound out of the lot. For all it's perfect distorition, I wish the pedal did have some light settings, so that during a set I could go from Hard Rock, so a softer (but still distorited song) without having to change pedals.

This pedal is very dependable. I used it Live a few times, and I've never had any problems with it. Before playing though I suggest you check your settings because the knobs are eaisly moved, and it could screw with your sound (example: turning down the bass). I would play live without a backup pedal, but I would bring an extra battery. It takes a D battery, and although there are many features to keep it from dying you don't want it to crash in the middle of a performance. To off set this I have one battery for practice (which I use all the time), and one for playing Live (which is only used for that, to conserve power).

This pedal is for guitar players Who are balls to the walls for heavy distorition. If you like fuzzy distorition, and feedback this pedal is for you. It's not too hard to get a good sound out of it, but if you're looking for just a little bit of distorition this isn't the pedal for you.