Death Metal review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Death Metal

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

If you like a solid Death Metal sound this pedal is definitely for you, but getting anything else from it poses a bit of a challenge. Turning the level knob up too high (past halfway) creates an awful noise if you leave your fingers off the strings for longer then a couple of seconds. By manipulating the volume pot on your guitar you can get a surprising amount of control over the level of distortion. This trick gives you a much greater range of sounds, basically anything on the heavier side of rock.

I play just about everything, but hard rock/metal is my home. Once I figured out the quirks I was quite happy with it. It's far better then my amps distortion, and has a wide range of sounds with volume manipulation. If I lost this pedal I would certainly get another DigiTech pedal, either this one or the Hot Rod. I just wish the guys at the store had informed me of this things appetite for batteries when I bought it.

The pedal is very sturdy, the knobs are solid and the pedal is mostly made of a strong metal. I wouldn't be worried at all about the pedal breaking, but batteries are a different issue. This thing rips through 9volts like a nervous guy with tic tacs. Buy the AC adapter or expect to funnel your life savings into your local battery shop.

The dials on the box are all pretty self explanatory. The manual goes over basic maintenance like popping off the hinge to replace the battery, otherwise it's largely unneeded. The other piece of paper included is a sales pitch for other pedals, but if you flip to the Death Metal page you get some suggested dial settings to get you started.