Death Metal review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Death Metal

Price paid: € 25

Purchased from: Huuto.net

The pedal sounds good, but always a bit fuzzy and there is loads of feedback. It doesn't have as wide range of varying sounds as the MT-2. In general, the "Death Metal" gives you a heavy sound, but it suffers from the overall fuzzyness, which won't go away with any setting. The pedal is more like a "one trick pony", with only one kind of tone. There are no knobs to control gain and distortion. And btw, avoid the mixer output like the plague! It sounds horrible, use the amplifier output instead, even if you're plugging it straight to speakers (remember to keep volume at humane levels to avoid destroying your speakers).

I play many kinds of metal (death, doom, black, etc.) and I'd only use this pedal for some fuzzy death metal. It works for In Flames and similar, but in general it doesn't really give me the sound of any of the bands I listen to. I got it because it was very cheap and I wanted to test it with my guitars. If my DigiTech Death Metal was stolen or lost, I wouldn't get it again. I'd stick with my Boss distortion pedals, which have more controls and give a better sound. I like how the pedal is built, very strong and good design, but the sound is average. I'd recommend to get the MT-2 or some other Boss distortion pedal instead.

This pedal seems very durable. It's metal, just like the MT-2 and I see no reason, why it couldn't be used for live playing. I just don't like its sound enough to actually use it on a gig. But the built quality is very solid indeed. Based on that, I could buy another product in the future from this previously unknown (to me) manufacturer.

I got my "Death Metal" from an internet auction for a cheap price, so I thought I give it a try. I'm usually using my Boss MT-2. The pedal is very easy to use and the manual explains the simple controls, in case any of them were unclear to you (should not be, if you ever owned a distortion pedal). It is easy to get a good sound of it, but only within the limitations of the pedal (read below).