Death Metal review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Death Metal

When not able to use my Engl Powerball, I try various SS amps (with distortion units) in conjunction to an 81/85 EMG loaded ESP Ltd F50. I must admit the sound of this pedal wasn't particularly impressive, in fact it reminded me of the cheap sounding Overdrive effects on the very amps I was using. Albeit this, it's lead tone weren't too shabby, much preferable than what it offers to rhythm. It lacked character and surprisingly, I found it couldn't really achieve any decent death metal overdrive... Regarding pedals, I much prefer the tone and feel of my other dist. Unit, the Boss ML2.

The drawback of the pedal lies not in its design, but in it's sound. Playing most metal genres, it reminded me a bit of Death's sound (the irony) but I couldn't get it to sound very dynamic or 'powerful', the coproduct of noise makes the result not very pleasing. For the price, I wouldn't really bear a grudge against it, but I'd much rather chip in some extra bucks and get something better. However I deem it makes a good beginner pedal for those in heavy metal.

It's a solid enough pedal with a metal construction, built to take some abuse, it hasn't given any trouble since purchase. For power it takes either an adapter or a 9V battery, which is good. For gigging it also has a mixer output, which is a neat feature.

The interface is simple enough for most people to use, you've got a level knob (like a volume meter for the unit) and high/mid/low controls where you can further tighten your equalization. Setting up the pedal is also very easy, you're good to go in seconds.