Death Metal review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Death Metal

Price paid: C$ 35

Purchased from: Pawnshop

Well, this varies highly, as soon as your using a bright sounding clean with any sort of slight gain, like crunch but just bairly, anything that gets some treble, the death metal's treble sounds f--king stupid, the EQ is basically really really sensitive, but you do have to crank the knobs around far from eachohther not close. I turn up the treble until I hear a slight amount of shitty highs and then turn it back down to where its gone, same with the mids, but the lows can basically be your high point, around 5 or 6, and everything must be less then the lows, keep the mids almost the same as the lows usually and it sounds like a normal amp again. But when you use this with a muddy clean solid state, you need to bring the highs back and level out that EQ more like a traditional 4/5/6 highmidbass type setting. I found when using it with highgain preamps though, there's just so much gain and no knob on the pedal, you can't get a useful sound. Simple fix is switching to a Overdrive with my main amp's preamp to boost it a bit. But then again I would never suggest a distortion for your big live rig, I have a mesa, and I just use it's distortion with help from a Overdrive for saturation, but I wont take my Overdrive to a jam, its useless unless I know the guitarist's amp is gunna have a good useable preamp distortion.

I would buy it again because for the price there's no sense in spending any more money on something your never going to use with your own rig anyways. The MXR Fullbore, Boss metalcore/zone/whatever other coloured one they have, and a couple others just sounded the same to me, I don't see a reason to keep making the same pedals in new casings with less or more features, such as a full EQ which this pedal has. For the price point, even the noisegate in the fullbore wont sell me on it. My live rig is a Mesa with a DigiTech GNX in the loop, no amp models, and I use the noisegate from the GNX in my loop, exactly what the decimator does, does the job perfectly for djenty metal tones.

Battery cable severed due to pedal going up and down, the cable comes out right beside where the top of the pedal and the main part come together when you stomp it. I put in another cable as their not fixable (molded) and now check where the cable is going under that pedal so I don't stomp it again. Also, when its cold the light doesn't come on right away, and neither does the sound. But that's life in the north.

Hmm, well its easy to use, but you have to use it correctly to have a good sound. Just needs a gain knob, or at least a adjustable internal gain knob so you can dial it in and seal it back up. And maybe a noise gate, its nice to show up to jams and just throw a pedal down and hook up your guitar to another dude's Fender Twin and end up with recto sounds.