DF-7 Distortion Factory review by DigiTech

DigiTech: DF-7 Distortion Factory

Purchased from: Music Nook

My current set up is a Schecter Gryphon, to the DF7 pedal, to a Line 6 Spider II 15 amplifier. This is an awesome set up because, unlike what most believe, the pedal really does enhance the distortion on the amplifier. I haven't found it noisy yet, considering I've only used it for practice at low volumes. The effects occassionally get repetitive if you use the same settings for each one. I've found a few of the distortion models sound similar. The distortion models are: the Ibanez TS-9, DOD Overdrive/Preamp 250, Boss DS-1 Distortion, Pro Cat Rat, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, DigiTech Metal Master, and Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi. I haven't experimented much with the settings as of yet so I haven't been able to find ALL of my favorite artist's sounds. I'm currently working on finding a good distortion level for 'Smells Like Teen Spirit.' Luckily, Jimi Hendrix who is one of my favorite artists, used the Big Muff Pi, so I will hopefully be able to emulate his sound through this. All of the different distortion models sing loud and proud when necessary and sound very close to their originals.

I play mostly alternative rock and folk rock like Nirvana and Green Day (mostly off of 'Shenanigans' and 'Warning'). This pedal matches the jump that I need from clean tones to distorted tones very well. I enjoy being able to change from one to the other without having to bend over and switch my amp settings. I have been playing a little over a year now and I'm at the almost good stage in playing. I'm able to learn songs but I still need and want to be able to play anything that I see or hear without much struggle. I wish I had asked for this pedal in the first place, I originally had on my wish list the DigiTech Grunge pedal, Boss DS-1 pedal, and Big Muff Pi pedal. This single pedal has two of these pedals in one already. If it were ever stolen or lost, I would probably reconsider my choices because I wasn't quite ready for this pedal. My indecisiveness in my self-teaching doesn't help having only one resource to go to. I wish I had a second one of these pedals so I could use two of the distortion models at once or in different areas.

I believe I will be able to depend on it because it has so far endured my knee being on it for an extended period of time. I would probably use this in a gig without a back up if I had the battery pack. But apart from that, theres nothing really that would seem to break down.

The DigiTech line of distortion and effects pedals has one of the easiest to comprehend and easiest to use manuals/pedals in all of effects pedals. Along with the instructions on how to use the pedal, it comes with DigiTech's full guide to all of their pedals and settings. To get a good sound out of it is up to the user. But it is easy to get any sound out of it, whether good or bad. Editing patches were not mentioned at all in the manual so I am sure there are none to be mentioned by the maker. The manual for this is superb with decriptions of what each knob does, how it can be connected, and descriptions of the structure of the pedal. My pedal is currently stock configuration, and I don't plan to have it modded.