DF-7 Distortion Factory review by DigiTech

DigiTech: DF-7 Distortion Factory

Purchased from: Town's End Strings and Things

I'm using the pedal with an Ibanez SA120 going into a Crate GLX65. The mid freq. knob works almost like the "Morph" setting on a DigiTech X-Series pedal, completely changing the sound of the pedal just by turning the knob. I've had the pedal for a year and I'm still finding cool sounds with it. The 7 distortion models are: Ibanez TS-9, DOD Overdrive, Boss DS-1, Pro Co Rat, Boss Metal Zone, DigiTech Metal Master, Big Muff Very versatile. One thing I found interesting was the mixer output. It sounds really cool, I actually ended up using it most of the time. The only complaint I have is that sometimes if you play a certain way, or on certain riffs, on a certain setting, you can get a weird kind of howling noise which makes the notes hard to hear. But it only happens on the rare case, If it does happen, just adjust the controls slightly.

I play metal (Metallica, Disturbed, In Flames, Rammstein, etc.) and it suits it perfectly fine. I found an almost perfect Rammstein setting, but from my experience, a Metallica sound is almost impossible to get (no matter what setup, unless you get thousands in equipment). I have been playing for 7 years, and if it were stolen or lost I wouldn't care because right now it's at Mark's Music Store as a down payment on my RP-350... Not my problem... I do miss it though... If my RP-350 doesn't cut it for distortion, I will get either another DF7, or a DigiTech Metal Master (probably the Metal Master because that's the setting I used 95% of the time on the DF7). If you want versatility in your distortion, and don't want to buy a workstation-type pedal, get this pedal!

This pedal is tough as hell. It's been dropped multiple times, plus I tend to jump on it if I'm really going all out. There's not a single scratch or dent. I'm trading it in for an RP-350 and the guys at the store were impressed on the good condition of the pedal. (I'm not trading it in because the pedal sucks or anything. I just want something with multiple effects). It's never been used Live, but I would definitely trust it without a backup (but I wouldn't trust the power adapter. I've broken a couple of those).

The pedal is easy to use. It's got 7 different distortion models, and they all share the same controls. It's got level, low, mid, high, gain, mid freq. and the model selector. Most of them are found on other common pedals with the exception of the model selector and the mid freq. knobs, so it should be straightforward to most users.