DF-7 Distortion Factory review by DigiTech

DigiTech: DF-7 Distortion Factory

I use a Peavey Pacer from the 1970's with a Squier Affanity Fat Strat. I first got this distortion pedal so I could get more of a modern tone v.s. a creamy, warm Overdrive. As I'm finding, I kinda want the Overdrive more. The good news is that this Pedal isn't noisy @ all, no feedback or anything. I can get a 'decent' at most sound, enough distortion for awesome solos and sustain with pitch harmonics. Pitch harmonics were another reason why I decided to get this. But mainly, I was looking for a pedal, but not having the best luck find the sound I wanted, so an employee suggested I get this pedal. The models on this pedal are: model 1 based on Ibanez TS-9 with Fender 1965 Deluxe Reverb 1x12, model 2 based on DOD Overdrive/Preamp 250 with Marshall half stack, model 3 based on Boss DS-1 with Johnson half stack, model 4 based on Pro Co Rat with Fender Bassman 2x12, Model 5 based on Boss Metal Zone with Johnson half stack, Model 6 based on DigiTech Metal Master with VHT half stack, Model 7 based on EH Big Muff with Marshall half stack loaded with 25W Celestion speakers. The best models are the Boss ones. I use the Pro Co Rat for a Sex Pistols tone.

I play a lot of 'rock' (pop rock, punk rock, pop punk rock, hard rock, alternative rock, metal, classic rock). I also play jazz and Blues. This pedal is alright for the rock party. Most for metal though I think. I cannot get a blues tone out of any of the suggested models though. My Overdrive in my amp is far better for those tones. I've been playing for about 2.5 years. I own a Squier Affanity Strat and a 1970's Peavey Pacer Amp. I prolly would have asked how much they employee liked the pedal and have him give me a demo. The employee said that he really liked it but I think he was just trying to sell a product and get it off the shelf. If this was stolen I might consider getting something different. There's always room for an upgrade! Love is a pretty strong word, I like the Boss Tones. Those are all right and sound a lot like the real thing. I hate the fact that out of all 7 models I can't get one really good tone that I like. Model 1 is mostly for a little distortion in the background. For like 50's, 60's Music. it's mostly clean. Model 2 is like a trebley Overdrive. It's decent but I hardly use it. Model 3 is a standard Boss dist. pedal. I use this one the most. Model 4 is the 'warmest' sounding model. I can use this for a Sex Pistols and Deep Purple[kinda] tone. Model 6 is a Boss Metal Zone model, I use this for only extremely heavy music. This one is alright as well. Model 6 is an interesting one. It sounds horrible, it's extremely 'light' sounding and with lots of treble even if the treble on the pedal is all the way off. But the one thing that it has that I wish the Boss pedals had was a sustain unit in it. The more gain on, the more sustain, you could hold a note forever on this model. Model 7 is realy bassy and big. The distortion is ok, I'd use it more if I could have more sustain on it. It kinda sounds like the Smoke On The Water solo tone, I'm not sure why but that model reminds me of that solo.

I could totally depend on this pedal I think. I can get a decent tone of this pedal. But the one thing is that the battery life is about 6 hours. 9Volt. Batteries are pricy! I play about 3-4 hours a day and that's 6 hours of battery life per battery. The batteries don't last long, so I might want to bring a lot of extra batteries if I was at a gig. Plus side is, is that the pedal is very easy to change the batteries.

When I first got the pedal, I really didn't know a lot about 'good tone'. I just wanted to crank up the distortion up to '11' and play loud as possible. About a few months later, I grew tired of my curent tones. I tried/still trying, to find that 'perfect tone' now that I desire. It may have 7 Different models and there are only about 2 that I use. The manual that came with isn't that great. From reading all the 'suggested settings', they are about the same for each one. Bass, Middle, mid freq, treble, and gain are all 4. My unit has never been upgraded.

mr. ...
    IF YOU HAVE A DIGITAL AMP DONT GET THIS PEDAL. sounds great in any tube amp though
    filthylittleboy
    AnxietyAngel wrote: Can Anyone Tell Me How To Get A Sound Like Metallica's First Three Albums...Anyone...Please!
    turn OFF the mid's.