DF-7 Distortion Factory review by DigiTech

DigiTech: DF-7 Distortion Factory

Purchased from: Island Music

I used this pedal through my 2 guitars (Aria 1976 les paul copy, and Agile interceptor 7 string) to 2 amps that I had at the time, a Marshall lead 100 mosfet, and a Hartke gt60. When I first got this pedal, I loved it. It seemed to be much more tweakable with the low, mid, mid frequency, hi, and gain. I dialed in a pretty beastly metal distortion. Over time, I felt like I started to become dissatisfied with the pedal. I noticed puting my 60 watt amp next to my roomate's Behringer 30 watt P.O.S. That his amp cut right through mine to the point where my sound sounded like a hiss. I used the bassman and sd-1 sounds for church, and how they set me up was running my pedal board straight into the p.a. (I know I wasn't thrilled about it either), but the sound wasn't terrible. But really only the lower gain sounded good like this.

I play rock/experimental/metal, and this pedal should get you a good start. Iv'e been playing for 5 years now. I will say though, this thing does a wonderful job modeling the distortions it tries to. The owner of the shop I bought it at, had all of the pedals that it modeled set up, next to it and demoed it and compared them right in front of me. Some were spot on, others were very close. It convinced me enough to buy it. I'm moving to less and less pedals now and trying to move to a more simpler setup with the amps natural distortion. For that, I picked up a Flextone for like $220, and it's holding me for now, but I'll probably break into the tube world soon. I reccomend trying this pedal in the store for like an hour or so, and if you still like it, then this is probably the pedal for you. Or maybe you know how to use this pedal more effectively than I do, if so, please let me know, because I'd rather not toss something because I wasn't using it properly.

like I said, I used this pedal for home and church. I used it weekly for church, and never once had a problem for the year I played in the band. Looking back, I wouldn't use it as a primary distortion, but it could make a promising boost. I would say that this pedal is very reliable, and with me kicking it around all over the place, it's durabilty withstood me, the one Who normally breaks the so-called unbreakeable items (and yet I still can't open some child proofed things).

as far as ease of use goes. I give this pedal a 10. Everything is straight-forward with it. It has 7 different distortions that model several pedals such as the Fender bassman, the pro-co ratt, sd-1, metal-zone, metal master, another metal one I can't remember, and the Big Muff Pi.

meatwad91
    Dude the second reviewer has a 400w peavy tube amp!!!! aww man i love those things!! LOL... what model is that?? OH, Also that "small" fender 100w tube amp? lol. Those are some awesome amps buddy! ; )
    Ork_Paladin
    the only bad thing for this pedal is that you have so many options to choose you can spend whole day choosing the best sound you like even if you have lame amp this pedal will make it sound great and you can play literaly everything you want from shredding to power chords and it will all sound great
    Frege
    Been using this one for almost 2 years now and it's been sounding really well with my Peavey Valveking100-stack. A tad digital and flat, but versatile and not too pricey considering what you get. I did however just buy the Blackstar HT-DUAL and I have no problem taking the DF7 out of the loop. So... The Blackstar HT-DUAL is No.1 by miles, but a tad pricey. The DF7 is still a really good pedal with loads of options and tweakage with a lot of bang for the buck.
    Explorer939
    Hey guys! if u want an ac adapter/power supply, go to amazon.com, type digitech,an you'll see a power supply for digitech stompboxes