Digital Delay review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Digital Delay

Purchased from: eBay

I use this pedal in the effects loop of my Laney VC-15, with an Ibanez S470, a DigiTech Whammy 4 and a Dunlop Crybaby 95Q going into the amp. I haven't noticed any changes to my tone when I plug this in, although I'm pretty sure it isn't true bypass. The standard delayed sounds are a little digital, verging on tinny, but the tape echo simulation mode has a nicer, warmer tone which I prefer to use. The sounds are equally good with a short slap delay or with a long delay (4 seconds maximum, which I find is simply far too long to ever use, but it's impressive). The mod delay is quite nice: the repeats have chorus added, which can sound really good with clean chords or picking, and if the time is turned to zero, actually makes a decent (usable) non-delay chorus sound. This, however, only really works with single notes or quiet chords. The reverse delay sounds very odd, but works really nicely to build up sound textures: if you turn the repeats and level up, you can slowly add to the noise, and gradually build up a massive noise, which sounds pretty cool. it's also good when put quietly, to add a little odd noise to a lead. There are no real issues with the sound, it's always clear, though sometimes the sound of the amp is not quite retained in the delay. However, for the low price, it sounds really good.

I play in one rock/pop band, and one rock/post-punk band, and I can make this pedal fit in both bands very easily. I can't think of any extra feature that would improve this pedal at all- it has everything I need, delay-wise. I've been playing guitar for probably 5 years now, and also own a Fender BG-29 (semi-acoustic bass), a Stagg bass, a cheap strat copy guitar, a bass Overdrive pedal, a 30W SS bass combo from a starter pack sort of thing, and the stuff I mentioned earlier which I use for guitar. If the pedal got lost or was stolen, I would probably buy another, because it's cheap and has everything I need in a delay. I love the reverse delay, and use it quite a lot for solos when I don't feel like playing a tune, to make really nice layers of sound. My least favourite feature is the tap-tempo mode, as it is hard to Switch it off. When I got this, I compared it to the Boss DD-3, but that is more expensive, has less features, and in my opinion doesn't have as good sound quality. As I've said before, I can't think of any additional features which would improve this pedal (except a different system for setting up the tap-tempo mode).

I haven't yet used this for a gig, but I would use it without a backup (and will soon). It seems perfectly solid; nothing loose, strong metal casing. I have read in other reviews that this pedal uses up batteries very fast, but I always use an adapter, as I do with all pedals, just to be safe.

Getting good sounds out of this pedal is fairly easy, the controls are very simple, responsive and self-explanatory: a knob controlling the level of the delay sound, a knob which sets how long the delay repeats for, a knob controlling the speed of delay, a rotary Switch to change between the 7 modes, and a footswitch. The only difficult things to use are the loop mode and the tap-tempo function. It is difficult to time the loop properly, and that takes some practice, but not a ridiculous amount, and personally I only use it very rarely. The tap-tempo mode can be confusing, because to turn it off you need to hold down the footswitch for a certain amount of time, which only turns off the tap-tempo mode, so the delay is still on and you need to press the footswitch again to turn it off completely, meaning that is difficult to use the tap-tempo within a song. Aside from that, it's a very easy pedal to use. The manual (which can be downloaded from the DigiTech site) is very comprehensive, and contains good information about how to operate the pedal. I can't think of anything which is lacks.

Dave_Mc
    you guys have probably left this website by now, but gear doesn't cost the same in europe as it does in the USA. i didn't get ripped off compared to its going price in the UK at the time.
    blackie13
    The best value for money pedal ten times better than boss pedals...(DD-3,DD-6)