DigiVerb review by DigiTech

DigiTech: DigiVerb

Price paid: C$ 60

Purchased from: Kijiji

The pedal is pretty straight forward, 4 knobs, choose your verb type, the decay - or amount of reverb you want, EQ to taste and set the Level (mix of dry/wet signal) and you are good to go. The only issue I had with using this pedal at first was getting the level to where there was no volume drop, once I figured the range out I just stayed out of the volume drop area and tweaked everything else. The cabinet emulation takes a bit of effort to engage as well especially in a board setup but I don't really make use of it.

This pedal provides a nice clean reverb to add to your sound with 7 types to choose from, although some are better than others. With the EQ you can dial in a warm or cool reverb to compliment your sound, but if you put the level (which is the mix control) past noon you start to get a noticeable volume drop in your signal. So if you want a really wet singal i.e. above half way mix, you are going to have to deal with a volume drop. With the decay control, and depending on which reverb type you have selected, you can get either a small fairly tight reverb or a larger resonating and spacious reverb. Of the reverb types, Plate, Hall and Church are my favourites giving a nice range of verbs good for chording to lush and airy for single note runs or ambient droning. The room is ok, but I find even on max decay the "room" is still too small, Gated also sounds fine but I don't like the hard stop gate feature. Reverse is available if you want some more "out there" sounds but isn't my cup of tea. Finally we get to the spring, in my opinion this is the weakest setting on the pedal that I personally find unusable, but I am not a big spring guy to begin with, but it just doesn't sound good to me, the spring pops are irritating beyond belief. If I was only grading on the verbs I like it would be a 8.5 but to include all of the settings on the pedal it goes down to a 7.

Build quality is solid metal box so you don't have to baby it. Haven't had any issues with construction quality with mine yet. The back of the pedal has a nice rubber pad on it to provide good grip and stability under your foot. The control knobs have a nice fluid feel to them, smooth but not loose and the Type control has notched levels so you click into the verb types and don't have to guess on the dial. The weakest part of the pedal is probably the little activation switch that the pedal pushes down to activate the effect.

A solid pedal that can deliver some nice sounding reverbs with good features but falls short of its full potential. As I mentioned above the some of the verbs sound great, some don't and some just didn't seem to have great functionality. In addition to the reverbs you also get stereo operation and it also has an optional cabinet emulation circuit for direct recording or plugging into a PA which sounds nice. For the full price I think it's a maybe, but if you can find it used I think its a definite buy.