Drop review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Drop

Purchased from: Sweetwater.com

Just plug the pedal in, in front of your amp, and turn the knob from left to right to select how many semitones down you want to play from your current tuning. The unit ships with it's own power supply for US and an overseas adapter (unknown which type plug though).

On a whim I decided to order this pedal even though I was concerned with some of the negative feedback I read regarding latency. When I received the pedal I tested the latency myself and I could find little to no gap audible to me. Perhaps if you have other pedals in front or behind this pedal, it could effect the latency more, but this is the only pedal I run in front of my EVH 5150 III, and it works very well.

Although I considered giving this product 9 stars, I knocked off 2 stars because with my amp and pickups (Duncan Distortions) the best representation of the dropped tones were at 5 semitones. Perhaps with a different amp or pickups one could utilize the full octave, but with my current setup it didn't sound as natural after 5 semitones.

The shell is incredibly tough metal, and is well engineered. This thing can handle years of brutal stomping. You probably wouldn't need a backup for this unit given it's over manufacturing. Don't drop it off of a high, precarious height. It would probably break. However, it would probably survive a 5 foot drop. But I would not do that repeatedly. That should just about do it for the character requirement.

In the end I am very happy not having to own more than two electric guitars now as a result of owning this pedal so that I may be able to play a plethora of songs that aren't restricted to open or lower drop tunings than Drop D. I use the half-step tuning for Steel Panther, Slayer, and the whole step tuning for Motley Crue songs. I feel this is the first pedal that I've owned that if it broke (which is impossible), I would buy a replacement as soon as possible!

logicbdj
    I have the full whammy version (with the DT part); I don't use it much since playing an 8-string, but I'm with you... sounds very authentic for the first 5 semi-tones. OK after that, depending on amp and other pedal settings, but ideal for getting that deeper growl.
    ebmusicman16
    I also have the Whammy DT, I mainly use the "drop" side of it and surprisingly one of the features I like a lot is the 12 string option which is Octave+Dry. If a version was made where it had both up and down tunings without the Whammy side that would be better.
    kjarthans
    How good is the sound on this? I’ve got a RP500 and I only use the downtune w/lots of distortion cuz it sounds to «digitally» when clean. I like my tuning to be the same on all guitars and I hope the d—tune effect has evolved enough now that it can be used everywhere like any other pedal,even for home recording👍