EX7 Expression Factory review by DigiTech

DigiTech: EX7 Expression Factory

Purchased from: Music123

I'm using this pedal with an Ibanez GRX from the beginners package, and it still sounds pretty good through the pedal. The pedal can get noisy if you have too much of everything going at once, but play with the settings, and you'll get a feel for it. The effects sound great, and the distortion the same. I haven't played enough to get too many 'artist sounds', but you can get a very accurate "Purple Haze" tone using the Leslie with EH Big Muff Pi.

This is definately a good pedal for what I play (rock, metal, grunge, thrash, and a little blues). I would replace this product if it was stolen within a week. The only thing I wish it had was the footswitch with the pedal instead of seperate, or possibly even a floorboard style of this pedal. All in all, I like it a lot.

This pedal is solid. Extremely durable metal chassis, and no slip grips, good for stage play. There is only one reason I wouldn't bring this on a gig, and it's because you can only use 1 distortion model and 1 effect at a time, and it's hard to switch them on the fly. Supposedly the available footswitch will help with that, but if I had the money, I would get the DF7 Distortion Factory, and the effects I want seperately for stage play.

Although the distortion can be a bit touchy, this pedal is pretty easy to get some good tones after you play with it for a little while. The manual is pretty good at describing how to get good sounds out of this pedal, but doesnt't give distortion setting examples, which would be helpful. Overall, pretty simple, not easy, simple to use, and can acheive great tones.

Vasheesht
    I id say instead of getting another metal master disortion factory get the digitech death metal, its sound lovely.
    KoRn dude
    krumpled wrote: digitech released a pedal to switch distortion/FX from on to off, im not sure about the price though. Its on their website if you want to check it out
    So can i simply run this through another pedal, or am i forced to use its distortions/pay extra just to turn them off?
    KoRn dude
    Scratch my last comment i noticed what you said about the distortion on your Marshall..
    johnstamos
    the seperate footswitch is $40. Could they not have just made the EX7 to where you don't need a seperate footswitch for another $40?
    the_crimison
    how about pick any distortion with the wah and set it to a place that you are comfortable with. there you have the disto =)
    V_mike
    I think this pedal would be better if it didn't have the distortion part, because they make the entire section as the distortion factory. If they knocked the price down to $100 and sold the two separately, I think it would avoid a lot of problems.