EX7 Expression Factory review by DigiTech

DigiTech: EX7 Expression Factory

Price paid: € 230

Purchased from: Reynolds Music Letterkenny

I am using an Epiphone 7 string les Paul with Blackouts into this, a Whammy, a Line 6 Tonecore Flanger and then into a Blackstar HT-40, it's relatively quiet in that kind of signal chain, but then again I'm in Ireland and the voltage here is shit and gives you terrible f--kin hum constantly so I can't give you a reliable answer on the "Is it noisy" question. The effects are top notch and I can't complain at all about it except for the fact that you can't use the distortion models alone unless an effect is engaged, even with the optional FS3X pedal. And this is the main reason I'm dropping it to an 8. Another note is the manual gives you settings for the likes of Tom Morrello and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I think I may have spelt Vaughn wrong there).

I play metal, this thing sorts out all your needs for metal, you have the Whammy for your sub/higher octave riffs off dooom, a Wah for your weird harmonic wails, the chorus for your beefier chords and of course the mad flanger to vary all your solo's from subtle to mad bastard styles. I've been playing for about 9 years now and I have dicked around with some of the pedals this thing models and even though it's not a good as the Whammyin my opinion (or the new Whammy DT, look it up on Digitechs website) the rest is damn decent, the pedal doesn't have much play, but with a light foot, this thing is excellent. Buy it, also, it does have a patch of the now unavailible, unless you're rich and search on ebay, the DigiTech XP300 synth pedal. I tell ya, that is one cool sounding patch. If it were nicked, I would buy another, eventually but I'm kinda poor right now.

This thing is built like a tank, a carbon fibre LOOOKING (not actual carbon fibre), but tank nonetheless. It's been dropped a good few times and I don't even think it's scratched. I've gigged with just this pedal alone and the footswitch pedal aswell and I don't ever think I would need a back up for this. There is a little issue I'm having with mine which is a squeaking noise when I move the treadle forward and back, I don't know how to fix it, cos it's plastic on plastic by the sounds of it.

All the patches have been listed, so I'm not gonna bother listing them... It's easy to get a good sound out of this pedal, all you really have to do is leave all the knobs dialed to 12 o clock and that's it, just change the patch and you're golden. The manual is great, the diagram of all the patches and what the control's do is simple and that's what you want.

Daysleeper_05
    This is the only FX pedal I own, and it gives me just as much to work with as some of my peers who've put together pedal boards. After a few years of use, here's what I've concluded: The wahs and synth are by far the best part. Some of the distortions (like the EH Big Muff Pi) are pretty good. The whammy is surprisingly versatile, but gets warbly when you play chords (the EH POG doesn't do this) The other FX, (chorus/vibe, leslie, flanger), aren't strong enough for my taste, and the fact that you control their speed with the pedal makes it hard to switch it on and off and get the same sound. This is exacerbated by the annoyingly small range of motion the pedal itself has. Getting the right rotation speed on the Leslie is like throwing darts blindfolded. Another annoyance is that you can't use batteries with it, and the power cord they give you is barely long enough to use on stage if you don't have a pedal board to plug it into. Despite all the small annoyances, there aren't enough for me to regret buying it. The two wah pedals combined with all the distortions are worth it alone, especially if you like the distortions they give you (which I don't). In short, it's a worthy substitute for beginners who don't have a pedal board and want to sound like they do. That's why I got it, and it did not disappoint.