GNX2 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: GNX2

Purchased from: Ebay

I am using an Epiphone Firebird VII, into this GNX2, into my Fender FM 212R. There aren't any noisy settings that I have found yet. The effects are of DigiTech quality, as in they are not anything special. They aren't very "full" sounding and they sound very cheap. However, that doesn't mean you can't get any awesome sounds out of it. I've made settings for bands like Led Zeppelin, Cream, GN'R, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Acoustic settings, Iron Butterfly, some cool fuzz settings that I love, and the preset setting called "Rifmatic" is funny and very cool at the same time. The wah wah is pretty good when used on a clean setting but looses it's quality while used with distortion to get some Kirk Hammet sounds. Many of the distortions have great sounds, but the fuzz amp setting lacks in the fullness that I have been looking for.

I play blues, classic rock, rock n roll, and some metal and this GNX2 covers those and many many more. I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years and have owned this for about a year now. I wish I would have tried the product first before assuming that the effects were high quality. If it were lost, I would buy a higher quality Vox or Boss multi effect pedal than DigiTech. I like the fact that there are many settings and I haven't ever run out of ideas, but the quality of the sounds is just not very high caliber at all. I didn't compare this to anything else. I wish it came with a $100 inside of the body so that I could get my money back.

This effect pedal is very reliable. It is made of metal and plastic and doesn't seem like it would ever fall apart on me. I would definately use it in a gig without any backups. If I ever got anything higher quality, however, I would use this one as the backup.

There are already 64 factory presets and 64 user presets able to be edited. There are some great settings that I haven't edited yet simply because I like them so much. It's very simple to edit the patches and the manual explains it very thoroughly (but no one reads the manual except for me). Hundreds and hundreds of distortions and effects mean you can never run out of ideas. The expression pedal can be pressed down to activate the v-Switch which turns on wah-wah whenever needed. You can add wah-wah, change the pickups, add compression, add Whammy or IPS (Intelligent Pitch Shifting), use the Stompbox, use the equalizer, use the noise gate (which filters out unwanted noise), add chorus or mudulator effects, add delay with a push of one pedal, add crazy reverb settings; and change setting of the expression pedal so that it not only covers volume and wah-wah, but also the Whammy and other things. You can bypass through the effect pedal, use the tunner on the effect pedal, and use learn-a-lick by just pressing two of the pedals symultaneously.

westo
    westo wrote: I got this on ebay for $100 and i love it. plug it into a Fender 212R and its totally sweet
    it is now three months later from when i said that, it was a great deal for $100, but the quality isn't anything special. i now change from a love relationship to a like relationship. yeup.
    TitoKK
    I've been using the GNX2 for over 6 years now and everyday I love it more. I used to be a kinda "anti FX" guy; I would plug my guitar straight into the amp and thrash away. Over the years, of course, I wanted to try different stuff, specially in a live situation. Once you get the basic idea of what you can do with this multiFX, you can almost replicate any sound in your head. For a transistor based pedal, the overdriven/distorted sounds are crushing and very natural sounding (close to plugging straight into a really overdriven Marshall or Mesa Recto), and the clean sounds are majestic. One thing though: it is NOT easy to use at first. You really have to thoroughly read the manual and have it in hand at ALL times when tweaking sounds. To me, the presets are pretty much worthless, unless you play through a very basic amp. The pedal needs to be calibrated to go with the amp you're using. If you calibrate it using your $10 combo and then hook it up to a bigger amp with bigger cabinets/speakers, you're gonna get a WHOLE different sound!