GNX3 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: GNX3

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

All I can say is: great sound (no matter what guitar or amp). B--chin' loud, too: it's got an output volume which acts as a preamp and literally triples your amp's regular volume. I've drowned out so many drummers and bassists at half volume I've lost count. Very vesatile effects, especially when you begin to dabble in the custom sound setups. Plus, if you read Guitar World, you can dial up their presets to recreate the song's sound. A year into my purchase and I'm still using the presets; they really do cover a wide range (I play mostly classic rock and 80s hard rock and shred) and there are plenty of presets that Pick up harmonic squeals and such. Thrash fans wont be disappointed with presets 8 and 26. The presets fall into 4 categories: heavy distortion, warm fuzz, clean, and "The result of bored employees at DigiTech" (just because some of effects are so silly ie. the organ). Oh, there is also an effect that ocataves your guitar into a Bass (which is useful for recording and replacing annoying bassists).

I am really happy with my investment in the GNX3. Great sound, no matter what guitar and amp, great versatility, and features by the barrel. And the LEDs look really sweet in the dark. I would like to point out that when I got it, it was on special order, since the GNX4 had just came out ($900CDN give or take). The GNX4 is basically the GNX3 with a just a few more features and whatnot that were not worth the extra dough I didn't have. From what I understand, they no longer make the GNX3, so youd probably only find it 2nd hand (cheaper too).

Ok, here's my problem with this. Although it's shell is metal, and seems very durable, the stomp buttons are plastic, and the displays are thinly protected. One good blow could eff it up good. But I suppose that's true for all things. I'm making it seem worse than it really is. It actually looks almost brand new and it has weathered many transports to practices and gigs.

It's more or less plug-in n' go, right out of the box. It's got 65 factory presets, and with each of these you have 2/3 amp models to choose from, so there's a lot of variety, covering everything from (insert artist here) to (insert artist here). I'm serious. Ok, I'll try to sum up the rest of the features, which I've had to look up in the hefty manual to properly use, so that what hurts this thing in this category. The recording feature works great and is handy, as is the Drum Machine (a bit limited, but that's to be expected in all-in-one's). The jam-along feature I've never used, but it's not that great. You can hook up a mic for the Talk Box effect (which is orgasmic). And finally, the expression pedal can be assigned different functions, but it doubles as an instant Wah no matter the preset. It can also output to MIDI. I've bought a Smart Media Card to increase its recording time as well as be able to transfer teh recordings to my computer. Speaking of which, it came with 2 CDs of software for editing etc.

hEadShoVeL
    i own this paddle well i duno why i cnat seem to get y distorstion sound right, but overall i love this padle really fufills me needs