GNX3000 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: GNX3000

Purchased from: eBay

I'm using this modeler with an Ibanez S370 through the "power amp in" jack on the back of a Fender Dynatouch deluxe 900 1x12. I can't stress enough how important it is to remember NOT to plug this into the front end of an amp! Always use either the FX loop's return channel, an amps power amp in jack, a P.A., or a power amp to a cab. The effects in the preset patches are a little over the top, but when the fx levels adjusted the presets are usable. I love the metal tones I get out of this and the blues and clean sounds are very good. I always use my own patches Live and stick to using presets solely for screwing around at home. It should also be noted that this modeler uses the "Audio DNA" processor, which is newer than the processors in the rest of the GNX line. So the models are supposedly more like the amp they're modeled after (I haven't played on all the amp models they sound like, but I can say that they respond well to Pick attack and volume). These processors use the same algorithms as the "Audio DNA2" chips (used in the new RP pedals), they're just not as fast, so patch changes have latency. But, when used in "stomp box mode", there is no latency at all. One of my favorite features on this modeler is the warp function. With this feature I can mix the trademark scooped sound of a Dual Rectifier with the mid growl of a JCM900 to get a full range tone. That, along with the parametric EQ, makes the tone possibilities endless.

I play mostly metal, but I like to mess around with a little blues or funk/jazz tones and this thing suits all styles well. Which is one reason why I like it so much, your not limited to one style of music. I have been playing guitar for 11 years and gigging for 4, and so far this has to be my favorite purchase. All the features are nice, aux in for jam along and on screen computer patch editing. It also has a Mic preamp for phantom power and can be used a recording interface via USB. Overall I give this thing a 10, and it is based on more than a year of ownership, rather than the excitement of a new purchase. I also have a song in my profile with a patch that I downloaded from the sound community on the GNX workstation forum. It is the Krank patch made by GUITAR3456, the creator of the supermods disk. It was recorded using the software that came with the GNX3000 via USB.

This thing is reliable and hasn't failed me so far, but I wouldn't gig without a backup due to the reputation of DigiTech products. The only thing I would worry about is the AC adapter. It's a special kind, and if it breaks, it is not a very cheap fix ($49.00 retail).

If you've used DigiTech modelers before, this thing is pretty easy to use. It has a graph style editing function that's tricky at first, but after tweaking a little you get the hang of it pretty quickly. The manual is very in depth and helps a lot, but most people could begin tweaking without it easily. All though this modeler is easy to use, there are a lot of functions available that, without the manual, you'd easily get lost in. But the manual is downloadable from the DigiTech website, so if you find one without a manual it's still worth the buy.

allanex65
    phatsack
    allanex65 wrote: After several days of tweaking the GNX3000, I am switching back to my GFX-5. The latency issue with the GNX3000 when switching between patches is very serious for me. I dont want to lost the sound of a note or two when performing live. GNX3000 did just that.
    that's why there's "stompbox mode"