GNX4 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: GNX4

Purchased from: Ken Stanton

At first, I thought that it might sound digital, but doesn't sound that way at all. I have a Crate GLX65 and I just plug this thing up through the Effects Return slot which sounds amazing. I absolutely love the fact that the GNX4 has a headphone slot. A headphone slot is something that my amp is missing and it's something that I really can't live without. Within the next few months, I will be buying a set of Studio Monitors for my GNX4 which I've heard makes this device sound incredible. The patches for other artists sound almost exactly like the songs that they are from. I recently did a cover of Steve Vai's "For The Love Of God" and when I listened back to it, the tone sounded nearly exactly like his. Not to mention Guitar World and other magazines have presets in the tab section for the GNX devices that you can use which have so far been amazing.

I mostly play metal, hard rock, and some blues every now and then. This device has presets for everything: metal, rock, blues, country, and a lot more. You just have to get different patches to get the different sounds. Or, you could just create your own patch and create your own sound, which is something that every musician wants to have. If this thing was stolen or lost, I would be pretty mad, but I would probably end up buying it again eventually, unless there was a new GNX Model out; in that case I would just upgrade. Something that I really love about this device is the built in drum Machine which is always fun to jam with. In fact, it's the thing that has sparked a lot of the ideas in my songs. I'm really happy that I decided to go out and buy this device, because I really can't imagine having anything other than my GNX4.

I used to have Guitar Port, which, to tell you the truth, I couldn't really always rely on. I never realized this until I used the GNX4 but the Guitar Port made it sort of a hastle to record stuff. First of all, I couldn't plug in a mic while I was using it so I had to do those things completely seperate and a lot of times my computer just wouldn't recognize it. I used to have to have all of these seperate devices just so I could record one song. But now that I have my GNX4, everything is pretty much built into one. I can record Bass and Guitar. I can plug in a mic and record Drums and Vocals. I can also plug in my Midi Keyboard (Yeah, this thing is a Midi interface too) and open up Reason 3.0 to record some beats. It's just amazing. I would definately use it on as gig because it's got everything I would ever need built into one. Practically all the pedals you could think of are in this thing. Wah, Distortion, Delay, Phaser, Reverb, and some others.

When I first tried it out at Ken Stanton, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to figure this device out, but I bought it anyways because it had sounded so awesome while I was trying it out. For the first few days I played around with it and was very suprised at the ease of use of this thing. It's pretty easy to create different sounds and patches with the GNX4, and it's even easier if you can plug it up into the computer with the DigiTech X-Edit program. While the GNX4 is pluged into my computer, I use Sonar 5 to record and let me tell you, it has cut down the hastle of recording by a long shot. If you're using the optional CF card to record, you'll have no problem with the 8 track recorder because it's pretty easy to use. The manual is pretty thick, but it explains a lot of stuff and it's easy to read. Actually, I read the entire manual while I was in ISS one day (inside school suspension).

metallicmonster
    i noticed it has a whammy effect.does it have all the features of digitechs whammy pedal,or just the standard whammy effect?
    seek_&_destroy
    ... how would this compare with the GT-8? i mean obviously the GT-8 has more effects, but i mean quality-wise