Grunge review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Grunge

I'm using this pedal with my Crate GX-60C and my Squier Strat. This pedal is automaticly loud, but really, that's what it's for. Although, once the pedal is switched off, the amp is too quiet. Of course, a Stooges-type sound is very easy to obtain, as it is mentioned in the manual. Also, a heavy blues sound is possible, but requires a lot of messing around with the guitar and the unit itself. A Grunge sound is obviously very easy to find, as is a metal setting. Naturally, the distortion is full-on over the top madness, which, to me, is wonderful.

My favorite style of music is punk, but that gets boring to play, so I love playing blues, rock & roll, metal, and occasionaly jazz. This pedal is well suited for all but Jazz music. I chose the Grunge pedal because I could not decide between the "Hot Rod" and "Death Metal" pedals, from the same line of products. So I bought the one that came in-between the two. It trumps the "Hot Rod" and holds it's own against the "Death Metal." Overall, worth a buy.

This unit is extremly durable. No way I would consider a back-up on stage. The entire unit is rock-solid, that's why they're called stomp boxes. Plus, it looks cool.

As simple as it gets. Plug a few cables in, turn a few knobs, and boom, you are rockin'. The tones are easy to manipulate, thanks to the "Grunge" knob. This is like a gain control, but does a little bit more. Thanks to this extra knob, the Grunge is easily controled and played. The manual comes with four suggested settings, from "raw power" to "insane," these settings are good enough, but pretty generic. It seems that the "raw power" setting is based off of The Stooges song of the same name. Overall a good device.