Grunge review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Grunge

Purchased from: SamAsh Music

I love the sound on this pedal! I'm using a Fat Strat usually on the humbucker pickup, and let me tell you, the sound is incredible! You get four knobs: loud (volume), low (bass), high (treble), and grunge (distortion). The settings are quite easy to get a good sound from, and you aren't just limited to a Grunge sound. The only problem is, getting your settings on your amp to sound good with the settings on the pedal (a big pain).

I love the pedal! While I may be a bit byist because I play mainly Grunge on this pedal, it is actually quite adaptable to other styles too. The good definatly outweighs the bad here, and I prefer this tone over some random distortion pedal. The only big flaw is the battery life, but that can be fixed by buying a $10 AC adapter. The only thing I miss on it is a mids knob. But don't worry! It's not that big of a deal! Overall, I recommend this pedal to anyone who wants a good rock tone (and who dosen't want that).

This pedal is really quite durable, but the only problem of not having a backup at a gig would be the battery life. The battery life is real bad, if you forget and leave this thing plugged in for a night, then the battery will be close to dead. To solve this though I bought a AC adapter, so I don't have to worry about batteries anymore!

The pedal is pretty easy to use, actually, people probably understand "low" and "high", better than "treble" and "bass"! If you can't get a good tone just messing with the knobs, then inside the pedals box, there is a list of different tones you can use, complete with pictures showing where to turn the knobs.

stumpdumbrocker
    Does everyone realize that Kurt Cobain never had a "Grunge" pedal? No, he made the sounds himself using his own creative techniques, along with the Melvins, and Malfunshun and all those other great grunge bands. In my opinion this pedal is an embaressment to the grunge scene.
    leondb
    uninsane_guitar
    leondb wrote: I think it sounds great. But I agree that it isn't anywhere near the grunge sound. There's too much distortion for grunge. IMO, it doesn't sound all that different from the Death Metal.
    I agree, i wanted to buy either the death metal or the grunge and i bought the grunge because i thought there was no difference. the pedals sound relatively alike. plus, it sounds nothing like nirvana's guitar sound or pearl jam, or any other grunge band of the day. if they really wanted to make a grunge pedal, it should have been a little lighter on the distorion.
    Ishiga
    IMO, this pedal has a heavier distortion than digi's death metal. Not a heavier death metal sound, but it's alot more distorted. All in all, it IS an effects pedal, an accessory. You can't do much with any pedal without a base tone, and this one, if used properly, can accentuate just about any tone that incorporates distortion.
    Ishiga
    Also. For all those line 6 haters. On the Spider 3, the insane setting is shit. It's got too much more than you'll ever use, but there are some good points to it. The red metal setting is okay, and a few of the settings (Although alot of them sound the same.) are usable. The flange/phaser is hard as hell to use, but sounds pretty neat when you figure out the timing on it. The hidden noise gate doesn't really do much for me, but the delay kicks ass. All in all, it's overkkill, but it's salvagable. Just, stay away from 15-30watt models, they suck ass. Pay the extra and go 75. It's more than just volume.
    hellview_666
    I have this pedal and i constantly have it on mixer mode throguh an amp, since the amp socket seems to gainy and trebly for me... the mixer socket gives out this perfect cabinet style grunge distortion (muddy like grunge should be, but clear enough for the notes to sing) and it produces a brilliant tone for anything I like to play.