Grunge review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
DigiTech: Grunge

Purchased from: Craigslist

I played this with a Ibanez DT120 Destroyer with GFS pups, and an Ibanez RG2EX2 with EMG-designed pups into my modded Epiphone Valve Junior Head I put the Valve Junior on a low volume with the (non-stock) gain Switch set to off to let the pedal to the talking. I wish I hadn't. The distortion on this pedal is brOOtal, to be sure, but that's all. Even at the lowest level of Grunge, I found it to be noisy and musically unpleasent. Dimed, the distortion was just plain unpleasent. Playing with the EQ didn't do much to help, either. The Low control is Flubby past 10 or 12 o'clock, and thin below 9 or 8. The High was sightly more usable, but painfull and unpleant when dimed. Finially, the pedal introduced a hissing louder than even I could tolerate, and I'm famous for not caring about hiss. One thing worth mentioning, this sucker is loud as hell. Great way to blow the speaker out of your Squier SP-10.

You can get much nicer pedals for the street price of this thing ($50) If you want a solid distortion pedal, get a DS-1 (Which I've owned, thank you) or perhaps save for a DF7 Distortion Factory. I was just dissappointed with the ammout of noise and hiss, and the lack of usability of the EQ. One plus: the purpley cracked finsh is rather H4wt.

Gig without backup, sure, but don't unless you're trying to hurt the patrons of the venue. You could definitally get your $ back, and then some, buy using this to smash a display window of a Gibson dealer, and scooting off with every LP you could carry. DigiTech makes pedals almost as solid as Boss, so 8.

It's just as easy to use as anyother analog DigiTech distortion, but "getting a good sound out of it" requires a bit too much coaxing. Mine didn't come with a manual, but it's self-explaniotry. "Loud" is level, "high" is high-freq cut/boost, "low" is a low-freq cut/boost, and "grunge" is distortion level. I give it a 7, for simple, easy to use, if not efective, controls.

the.spine.surfs
    If I hadn't got this thing for free, I'd be mad that I paid money for it. Depressingly ineffective piece of gear.
    impeachpedro10
    the pedal is fine, but kinda lacking in the metal department. not enough lows, and fairly dry. wonderful dry punk sound though.
    matthew2010
    muso_ chris : Ishiga wrote: Noisy piece of junk. +1 i hate it. don't listen to them, the pedal the pedal is only noisy if you have the low and high knobs all the way up. i have had it for 3 years, and it hasn't given me any problems.