Grunge review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Grunge

I've been using this on a PoS amp until I can afford a better one, so my sound quality is great but I'm almost certain it'd be better with a better amp. The pedal easily goes louder than you'll ever need for practicing at home, and that's without turning your amp up too high. A little tweaking can get you Black Sabbath (think Iron Man), Monster Magnet, Ensiferum or Metallica pretty quickly. I'm not big on turning any of the knobs up too high - it gets very distorted very fast, and my amp can't really handle it without adding in it's own distortion, leading to little definition when playing chords. Sounds great, but you should try it for yourself through a decent rig if you're at all concerned about your melody turning into a mess with too much dirt.

I generally play metal and classic rock. Metal, this pedal definitely has down, and along with a good Overdrive and wah you'd probably be set. It does leave a bit to be desired with classic rock though - the distortion is just too heavy in my opinion. The one thing I really wish this pedal had would be more control over the distortion - ie, the same max distortion it has now, but a much lower minimum. However, this pedal was designed to give cutting distortion, thick distortion, muddy distortion and so on, not to play "Sunshine of your Love" so I can't really complain. All in all, an excellent product that I would definitely replace if it were lost or stolen.

VERY heavy duty pedal. Definitely what they had in mind when they thought up the term "stomp box". I'd happily gig with this without a backup, 'cause hell or high water won't even dent it. Solid Metal casing, thicker than is really necessary with most of the bottom and most of the footswitch covered in rubber to stop it slipping. Similarly, never had any hint of a problem with the electronics - works perfect all the time. However, I would bring a backup battery as this sucker can drain them pretty quick.

I got this as a Christmas present from my girlfriend, and I don't think I did much if any tweaking to get an awesome sound out of this and within a minute or two I was playing. The manual comes with a few suggestions, all of which sound great, and if you're looking for a heavy distortion it's just about perfect. It is pretty difficult to tone it down, though; Grunge is the name and it's a dirty pedal, so clean's hard to come by, though possible with enough patience. But that ain't what it was built for. It's got four simple enough controls - Loud, Low, High and Grunge. It has two outs - one for an amp, one for a mixer. Can't get much simpler than that, can you?

TDAJGuitarist
    It sounds very fake.....And you have two settings...Too much distortion and WAY too much distortion...
    CapnKickass
    This pedal has sound that reminds me of taking a bit out of an apple lol, crunchy and juicy. Honestly not the best for metal, sounds kickass for hard rock stuff like UFO, I usually have the the grunge knob around 2 btw.
    SLD.Potato
    papersun87 wrote: Not going to lie to you, this is one of the worst distortions I've ever heard. But the reviews are pretty favorable, so to each his own, I suppose.
    nutinpwnsgibson
    yea for $40 its a good metal pedal, but it sounds pretty thin and digital. i'd rather just get an amp with a footswitch or get a metal muff. MXR and fulltone make great distortion pedals too
    axis56
    stumpdumbrocker wrote: Does everyone realize that Kurt Cobain never had a "Grunge" pedal? No, he made the sounds himself using his own creative techniques, along with the Melvins, and Malfunshun and all those other great grunge bands. In my opinion this pedal is an embaressment to the grunge scene.
    yeah you should just get a muff really
    fretsonfire74
    I don't know how you can give this a good review. My drummer has it, and whenever anybody uses it, it sounds horrible.
    whosamerica
    really you cant crank the "loud" setting any higher than 9oclock or you get MASSIVE feedback. its a great pedal for backing track effects like harmonics, pickslides, and feedback. i wouldn't use it live or for recording a lead part.
    Gregoriose
    ok I got to get me one of those. my amp dosn't have gain and I want something with it.
    will_it?
    i got one of these and it ****in powns...but i know shit all about guitar tech. suggestions for alternates?
    RAGman22ReborN
    i use this pedal for metal and it does the job. from metallica, slayer, zakk wylde or even killswitch engage, vthe pedal kicks a$$