Grunge review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
DigiTech: Grunge

I use an Ibanez RG120 which I had bought at another guitar center in Boardman, Ohio, and a Crate FW15 I had bought at the nearby Brighton Music Center, and the pedal sounds great through both. It never got noisy (bad noisy) on any setting I could have made, they don't sound weak at all (except when it's not on) I couldn't get the sounds from my favorate bands like Metallica or Dragonforce but I never really tried. This was my first ever pedal I ever bought and I never tried it with other pedals so I can't judge that yet.

I play around with Metal or Rock music and it matches good with those genres since Grunge is derived from those two. I've only been playing for a month or two and this is my first pedal ever so I can't compare it to anything else. If it died and someone stole it I'd think it would be funny, except everything else would likely to have been stolen too so I wouldn't be laughing, but I might go and buy it again. I love the fact that it can give me that heavy sound I need but the reliability is an issue. Other than better reliability, I would like a tad heavier sound.

This is he only negative thing about this pedal, the very day after I bought it, it failed, the light was on, The amp was turned on (obviously) and had the volume turned up on the amp and pedal and no sound as if nothing was plugged in. Needless to say, don't buy anything used. I would definatly not use it without a backup if it's going to die that easily.

The DigiTech Grunge pedal has very easy controls to get the heavy sound I was looking for. I could understand the manual very well, the pedal was obviously used due to the small coffee stains on the cover and had a bent page inside. I have not been told that the unit was upgraded or not or asked.

Ptak
    stumpdumbrocker wrote: Does everyone realize that Kurt Cobain never had a "Grunge" pedal? No, he made the sounds himself using his own creative techniques, along with the Melvins, and Malfunshun and all those other great grunge bands. In my opinion this pedal is an embaressment to the grunge scene.
    Right on man... a true embarressment.
    lutfish
    I have one... It's good, although it's not really any grungy... But it's great for metal overall.
    AmplifySilence
    It's a very good pedal. It doesn't sound exactly like grunge, But it still has a very nice tone.
    zAg1619
    I'm not sure why everyone is raving about the durability. I have not one, but two of the pedals. It's a killer pedal, love the tones for metal, grunge, not so much.. But the durability is shite. Either that, or I am just stomping on it waaay too hard.
    RX120D
    will_it? wrote: i got one of these and it ****in powns...but i know shit all about guitar tech. suggestions for alternates?
    Boss MT-2. But learn how to EQ it first. A lot of people think it sucks but that's just because they can't EQ for shit. If you wanna hear it, the covers on my profile have the MT-2 through a Randall RX120D.
    TheDisturbed78
    joe momma wrote: can you get a children of bodom sound out of this and an early judas priest sound without much trouble?
    u can get a bodom sound pretty easily, i havent tried it w/ judas priest though
    Time Seller
    This pedal can make deal some pretty heavy distortion. So much for it being 'grunge'. Lol.
    RX120D
    AlexAvarice wrote: Actually, I just think your an idiot rich boy who obviously has a retardation when it comes to setting up pedals or is too pampered by mommy and daddy's wallets to have to buy their own gear. I've been playing for eight years, been on three tours of New England, and recorded a full length album, and the DigiTech Grunge is proudly one of my line-up. You claim to know about tone, but my money is on the fact that you are Marshall/ Gibson humping freak saying that all the tone is in the high price pedals. If you actually took thirty seconds to set the pedal, you would have seen why I am saying this, so go have daddy buy you a $150 pedal so you can feel like you're not a newbie anymore and shove it up your a**. I'll be right here with a good DigiTech Grunge pedal.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've worked my ass off to buy my gear. The only thing in my gear that was bought for me was my wah pedal for my birthday. And that was all i got! And no, i don't believe that tone only comes in a 200$ package. I actually use a DigiTech RP200 for effects. Nothing fancy that's worth a mint. I have nothing against that product. My guitar is not top of the line, far from it actually. I hate marshall, i don't have a liking for gibson either. I never had an awesome amp to work with until now. I needed to use pedals to get a good sound so i'm not "retarded" as you say. Maybe I haven't toured anywhere or recorded an album. How many people can say they have? But that doesn't make your rant credible since I've seen a bunch of bands that are "on tour" and have really bad tone. That doesn't mean they're bad musicians at all. It just means that their tone is bad... My parents are far from rich, I should be going to college this year but I didn't have enough money and neither did my parents which means that yet again I am saving up for what I want. I take my time setting something up when it comes to sound because I can't stand it when my tone is not perfect according to my liking. I don't just crank the gain, bass and treble and get rid of the mids completely like a lot of people do. I'm man enough to admit that i used to do it. Sure, hasn't everyone done that in their beginner days or the first experience with an EQ? I've been playing for over 5 years now but i guess not having 3 extra years of "experience" makes me a ****ing simpleton when it comes to everything. That's 5 years of "actual effort-filled, dedicated" playing unlike some people who like to think their years in experience includes the year or 2 long break you took from playing because you got bored or you were just too lazy to pick up your guitar instead of a game controller. I have never heard the Grunge on a great amp. Heard it on everything from 15W up to decent halfstacks and I have never, EVER said or thought "Wow, y'know maybe I was wrong about this pedal. It must have been that shitty amp it was being played on last time that gave it that hacksaw sound." It seems like no matter what way you set up your pedal and amp, what pickups you have, what kind of guitar you have, what wood your guitar is made of, it just overall sounds bad. Oh and by the way, New England isn't very big...
    RX120D
    I'm the gibson loving freak? I wonder who has an Epiphone here... Oh look! It's you.
    SLD.Potato
    RX120D is right! I have one of these, it sounds like crap . There's no warmth to the pedal at all. I'd be better off using the "Distorted Gutar" tone on a keyboard than this thing.
    RX120D
    SLD.Potato wrote: RX120D is right! I have one of these, it sounds like crap. There's no warmth to the pedal at all. I'd be better off using the "Distorted Gutar" tone on a keyboard than this thing.
    Finally! YEAH! +10 man, much respect.
    A-G-guitarist
    I found out recently that the electronics of the Digitech Death Metal pedal are the exact same ones in the Grunge. Except there's no gain knob on the Death Metal which explains why people prefer the Grunge.
    psss
    good for a beginner who doesn't know or care about sounding like poo otherwise dont buy
    nutinpwnsgibson
    mikerockstar wrote: This pedal is NOT noisy. Get a better amp or learn to EQ properly. I've owned or used a DS-1, MT-2 (Metalzone), ML-2 (MetalCore, still own it), Damage Control Demonizer, and a Line6 Uber Metal. DS-1 is shit, MetalZone is shit. For a $50 or less pedal, the Grunge is surprisingly better. Less EQ option, yeah, and some pedals just sound better through some amps. Perhaps I have one of the good ones (a Randall RH300 head). Someone said it has a "good dry punk sound". I would agree. I don't use this for metal, but it's great for a punk/hardcore sound, and for GRUNGE (obviously) and other brands of Hard/Heavy rock. Don't krank your EQ's or your gain. Keep gain AROUND 12 o'clock... tweak hi and low to your tastes. I keep my Low around 2 o'clock, and Highs around 12. Adjust level to match your clean volume (obviously). This thing gets a bit fizzy on the high end (like many cheaper distortion pedals and amps), but this thing is an absolute "diamond in the rough" for ONLY $50. Yeah, you'll get better stuff out of SOME pedals that are more $$...but the fact that this beats some of them says something. If you're a poor kid and need a distortion box, try this. And I play a lot of hi-gain and modern stuff, too... no shitty classic rock and metal for me!
    you do realize kurt cobain, the most famous grunge player, owned a DS-1, yet ur saying that this pedal is better for grunge and that the DS-1 cant do shit.
    AlexAvarice
    RX120D wrote: I love how everyone thinks this pedal is amazing. One of my friends had it. Pure garbage. The name says it all. "DigiTech" is exactly what it is, way too digital. It sounds like a can of bees thrown at a wall. And plus, with most equipment nowadays, you pay for what you get and with most decent pedals priced around the 100-150$ range you can imagine what you get for 40$. the only thing DigiTech is good or "bearable" for is effects. Don't buy this pedal. save up for a few more days and get something with quality. It must be a bunch of newbies posting for this because anyone who knows anything about tone absolutely shuns this pedal. Unless you want that "my Peavey Rage 158 is in a tin can filled with bees and i play my jay turser with a quarter instead of a pick sound" Please don't get it. It's absoluely horrible. I'll admit, if you are a beginner learning how to play some higher gain music then sure, it's great. But other than that, it belongs in the dumpster. LET THE FLAMING BEGIN! /rant