Grunge review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Grunge

Purchased from: Rockshop

I'm using it with my Schecter Tempest Extreme and crap 10W Ibanez amp that's soon to be replaced, alongside my Boss PW-10 wah pedal. I can say that while I allowed the store salesman to sell me this over a Boss DS1, if you want a lot of distortion this pedal is for you. I play a lot of alternative/grunge style rock which uses a lot of distortion, so it's perfect for me. It should also be pretty good for metal, provided you use it in tandem with a good overdrive.

As I previously mentioned I play alternative rock with heavy Grunge and shoegaze influences, so I was looking for a good fuzz-type pedal that could give me a lot of distortion without an excessively brutal metal sound. The Grunge is almost perfect for that. While it is quite often maligned on the forums, I can say that for what I paid and what the conversion rate is, I call it a steal. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably get another one, unless I had enough money for a Big Muff. Overall, a great distortion pedal worth every penny I paid.

It's built like a small tank. I don't gig yet, but if I did I would feel more than comfortable using it without a backup, as long as I was running it through outlet power or had put in a new battery just before, as the battery life isn't the greatest. Get an adaptor, and this will be sweet.

Basically, if you can't figure this pedal out, you're an idiot. Four knobs, clearly marked inputs, all very self explanatory. Finding the exact tone you want can occasionally be a bit of a challenge, but once you find the tone you want it's like magic.