Grunge review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 2.5 Junky
DigiTech: Grunge

Used a g400 and a small practice amp, it isn't noisy, that's the only thing I liked about the pedal, it cuts out all the hiss, what it replaces it with is something to be desired though. I can't get the sound of anything I would like listening to, it comes close at times but allways falls short, there weren't and different effects, only distortion, small amounts and huge amounts, really shrill.

I play many styles of music, from classic rock like zep, to cannibal corpse, to the sex pistols, I was hoping maybe this could satisfy one of those areas, but it won't even sound like Nirvana, or Alice in chains, I wish I would have just searched a little harder before buying it, I could have gotten a tube Screamer, or a blues driver. I love how it's built like a brick, I hate bricks. I did compare it too other products, chose this because it was the cheapest.

I could depend on it, it's really sturdy, but so is a brick, there is not much use for keeping either of those around, it's an expensive brick, I wouldn't use it to gig, I would be booed off the stage, I have returned it since anyway. You get what you pay for period.

It isn't easy to get a good sound out of it, at least it wasn't for me, I never did actually get a good sound, no matter what I did, it was to shrill, somehow it sounds muffled, with high pitches attacking the ears via acoustic shock, not fun. The manual was vauge, and I am not aware on any patches for this, there was a nice picture book with famous guitarists who use DigiTech and think you should too, that was the most interesting this about this product.

Swap-Meet
    This pedal blows the ds-1 / ds-2 / MXR Distortion / EHX Big Muff (NYC) are the best distortion / fuzz pedals for grunge, and are REALLY good for punk. as an owner of a DS-1, and a Grunge pedal, I can tell you all that the Grunge pedal is crappy, it was made for Cobain, Cobain through it at the crowd at the only show he used it at, total peice of shit...buy one of the pedals I mentioned earlier, any one of those pedals are all really good.
    vintageaxxe
    vintageaxxe
    vintageaxxe wrote: I use one of these myself, the best thing out there for whatever u need, be it heavy chunky rhythm or plain old rock n roll. I was looking for the perfect sound (as all musicians do) and failed so many times with anything analogue, used this and a few tweaks later i was gob smacked by it. I don't care if the more usual thing is an MXR or DS-1 etc, works fine for me and i play Industrial and power metal on a BC Rich where as my bro uses it to play Alice in Chains and Zeppelin esc rock on a Fernandes, so can do the lot i say
    not so good on its own for leads tho, twin it with a delay pedal or something else it sounds a bit edgy \m/
    CapnKickass
    I kinda think it sounds a little better in drop tunings. It's alright sometimes I like it, like when I haven't used it for a while the tone is a different kinda sound.
    Metal Man Kam
    However, when I try to combine the distortion of the pedal with the amp distortion I get a loud annoying humming noise. It's best if you use the pedal as your only distortion.
    Yeah I have the same amp. That occurs because the amp has it's own built in distortion, not just overdrive. The two distortions conflict. It's like having two distortion channels on an amp and trying to use both at once. Gotta use the clean channel for the pedal
    lennon_ramone
    Ptak wrote: stumpdumbrocker wrote: Does everyone realize that Kurt Cobain never had a "Grunge" pedal? No, he made the sounds himself using his own creative techniques, along with the Melvins, and Malfunshun and all those other great grunge bands. In my opinion this pedal is an embaressment to the grunge scene. Right on man... a true embarressment.