Grunge review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Grunge

Purchased from: GAK

I used this pedal through my school's awful Marshall MG10CD amplifier using my Stagg L350 guitar. The pedal isn't noisy, but I signal definitely weakens when the pedal is connected. For metal rhythm guitar playing, this pedal definitely does better than the amp's distortion [the amp's distortion is horrid], but that's not exactly a great feat. I generally use this pedal with the neck humbucker of my guitar and I get a nice, mellow lead tone. I think the EQ knobs get too extreme. If you put the treble knob past half way, the tone goes treble crazy. Similar thing with the low knob - put the lows past 7, you get a very bassy tone. You need to be very careful with the EQ knobs to get a good tone out of this pedal.

I play metal mainly and this is a good match. I've been playing for over 4 years and I have also play this pedal with an Ibanez RG120 and a Roland Cube 15X [the distortion is good enough on that amp, so that's why I don't use it with it. If I did, it would be a downgrade]. I do not own any other pedals to compare it too. Before I bought this pedal, I just wish I knew how extreme the EQ was - it's too easy to get a muddy tone with this EQ. I love how durable this pedal is, but I hate the difficult EQ. I bought this product because it was cheap and because I didn't like the distortion on the Marshall MG10CD that my school owns. If this pedal was stolen, I would probably buy a better model with an EQ that is easier to use.

This pedal is built like a tank. It definitely doesn't look breakable. The chassis is ridiculously hard and I definitely don't imahgine it will be broken anytime soon. The Grunge pedal has never failed me and I would definitely use it at a gig with no backup.

This distortion pedal is quite basic. It has four knobs: loud [volume], lows, highs and Grunge [distortion]. The manual that comes with this pedal is great. It tells you what everything on the pedal does [knobs, inputs and outputs, LED and power adapter jack]. It also tells you how to change the 9V battery easily. A small catalogue [no prices mentioned] comes with this unit too. It features other DigiTech pedals, recommended pedal settings and recommended pedal rigs that are meant to help you get the sounds you are after. This is a effect that is incredibly easy to use, but harder to get a high quality sound out of, given that the EQ knobs make too much of a difference to the sound.

NathanRobbins
    stonegate drive wrote: i got this pedal used for 25 bucks and it is a great pedal any body who says that its a bad pedal obviously doesn't no how to eq there sound or set anything up because this pedal is great i enjoy having it in my collection. i think this is a great sound for a lot of genres of rock some of u guys are looking for. I would highly recommend this to anyone who just wants a good rock sound. and another thing its not an overdrive pedal its a distortion pedal what do you expect when you put two high gain things together FEEDBACK that's what for those of you that don't under stand that.
    most of the people fanboying this pedal are using sh** equipment. Are you really going to accuse those guys giving this a bad review of not knowing what a distortion pedal is/does. For the money, this thing can be beaten easily by any boss distortion hands down. I've played on one side by side with my setup (used to be all boss pedals, now is just a Mesa Mark IV) and the distortion that this pedal could produce was thin and weak compared to several different boss settings that i use. If you buy this pedal be prepared for hiss-town and forget doing solos above the 12th fret of anything unless you want peoples ears to bleed from the high end. Recommended: Boss: DS1, MT2(use with caution), OD20, etc. Please don't waste your money on "Mah it's not that bad..." equipment when much better can be had at the same price.
    megadethfan 666
    AlexAvarice wrote: RX120D wrote: I love how everyone thinks this pedal is amazing. One of my friends had it. Pure garbage. The name says it all. "DigiTech" is exactly what it is, way too digital. It sounds like a can of bees thrown at a wall. And plus, with most equipment nowadays, you pay for what you get and with most decent pedals priced around the 100-150$ range you can imagine what you get for 40$. the only thing DigiTech is good or "bearable" for is effects. Don't buy this pedal. save up for a few more days and get something with quality. It must be a bunch of newbies posting for this because anyone who knows anything about tone absolutely shuns this pedal. Unless you want that "my Peavey Rage 158 is in a tin can filled with bees and i play my jay turser with a quarter instead of a pick sound" Please don't get it. It's absoluely horrible. I'll admit, if you are a beginner learning how to play some higher gain music then sure, it's great. But other than that, it belongs in the dumpster. LET THE FLAMING BEGIN! /rant Actually, I just think your an idiot rich boy who obviously has a retardation when it comes to setting up pedals or is too pampered by mommy and daddy's wallets to have to buy their own gear. I've been playing for eight years, been on three tours of New England, and recorded a full length album, and the DigiTech Grunge is proudly one of my line-up. You claim to know about tone, but my money is on the fact that you are Marshall/ Gibson humping freak saying that all the tone is in the high price pedals. If you actually took thirty seconds to set the pedal, you would have seen why I am saying this, so go have daddy buy you a $150 pedal so you can feel like you're not a newbie anymore and shove it up your a**. I'll be right here with a good DigiTech Grunge pedal.
    noisewall11
    stumpdumbrocker wrote: Does everyone realize that Kurt Cobain never had a "Grunge" pedal?
    ironically, he did. according to his equipment listing. of course he didn't used it and was apperently "a joke and was thrown into a crowd". but he had one none the less. it was one of those DOD grunge pedals. suprisingly looks alot worse than this pedal..