Grunge review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Grunge

Purchased from: online

I'm playing through a Jackson RR3 with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck that's going through a Fender Mustang on a custom preset. It relies as much on your amp settings as it does the pedal settings themselves. I can get a bit of a Soundgarden-ish sound out of this when I want. Think along the lines of "The Day I Tried To Live". It can get a LOT heavier than that, though. Scoop your mids, crank the bass all the way up, and put the treble to 6 on your amp. Put the high on 9 o'clock, low on 3 o'clock, loud at about 12 o'clock and turn the Grunge all the way up. INSTANTLY HEAVY SOUND. Use it with a noise gate to stop feedback. This pedal WILL feed back if you don't mute it or turn down the volume.

I bought this because I used to be a Grunge fan. I thought it was the coolest pedal in the world. Nowadays, I play with a black metal-esque technique. It's still really good even for black metal. I've been going about 3 years as a guitarist and this has never let me down. If it got stolen (I would NOT lose it, it's too good) I would probably expierment with other pedals, but there's a very good chance I would buy it again. I like how heavy it can get, but I also hate how it can get very high-pitched and scratchy if the EQ's not right. I used to use a Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive before this, and I think the Grunge is better suited for me. I'm more of a black metal player than a Grunge one, but this pedal serves me well by itself. It all depends on your EQ level on your amp and on the Grunge.

I LOVE using this pedal for what it's worth. It's made out of metal, and I've never broken anything no matter how hard I can jump or stomp on it. It's worth using at a gig if you have the right settings. Use it even if you don't have backup. Just be careful not to let it feed back and get too high pitched or else you and your audience WILL go deaf. Hearing it feedback through a practice amp at normal volume is torture enough. Having it feed back live when it's cranked? You'll say ow.

It's relatively easy to get a good sound out of it. You have 4 knobs: Loud, Low, High, Grunge. Loud is for volume. Low is for low end, High is for high end, and Grunge is for distortion. Just tweak it a bit to get a good sound. The manual contains some presets, but most of them are too trebly for me.