HardWire DL-8 Delay/Looper review by DigiTech

DigiTech: HardWire DL-8 Delay/Looper

I'm playing a Fender Custom Telecaster FMT with Seymour Duncans ('59-neck, Pearly Gates-bridge) through an MXR 10 Band EQ > DigiTech Bad Monkey > MXR Distortion III > DigiTech DL-8 Delay/Looper > into my Epiphone Valve Junior. I have to say this pedal sounds amazing on all the different delay types; my favorite is probably the Modulation or Tape delay, but I use the Analog and Digital delays the most because they blend in more with lead tones. With up to 8 seconds of stereo delay you can dial in just about any delay sound you're looking for with this pedal. The reverse delay is pretty fun to play around with as well. As if the delays weren't reason enough to buy this pedal, you also get a 20 second looping feature. It's pretty basic, sure, but it's great for testing out ideas and for jammin'. I bought this pedal mainly for the delay so I consider the loop to be just an added bonus that's nice to play around with. The other bonus of this pedal is that it's true bypass and it generates no noise at any setting, even when it's used with my OD and distortion pedals.

I play a lot of Classic Rock, Blues, Alternative Rock, Prog Rock and this pedal has sounds for all of those genres. When I was shopping for a delay, my main competitors for this pedal were the Boss DD-7 and the MXR Carbon Copy. In my opinion the CC does analog sounds slightly better than the DL-8, but only slightly and it lacks versatility and tap tempo. The DD-7 has tap tempo but I liked the sounds of the DL-8 better and the DD-7 is not true bypass like the DL-8. If it was lost or stolen I would definately buy another. I really like that DigiTech didn't cut any corners with their new Hardwire line. These pedals aren't more mass produced garbage, they're professional quality stompboxes at a fair price.

This pedal is built like a tank and the knobs feel and turn as sure as if they came off a $1000+ mixing board. You'd be hard pressed to straight up break this pedal with it's all metal construction. I would definately gig this pedal without a backup because if the pedal fails it goes into true bypass.

The DigiTech DL-8 Delay/Looper is a very user friendly pedal. All the knobs are clearly labelled and information on how to use the tap tempo and looper are printed on the pedal as well. It comes with a detailed manual that explains how the effect of each setting knob has changes with the delay type.

magnix