HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion review by DigiTech

DigiTech: HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion

Purchased from: Sam-Ash Springdale

I play Ibanez S7320 Jackson RRJS30, (LOTS OF PEDALS), Carvin Nomad, Peavey JSX HALF-STACK. I gig a lot so having multiple distortion qualities is important. This pedal gives you a Hard-Rock (Three Days Grace) sound to a old-school grind (Carcass) and in between (Metallica, Death, Morbid Angel, Lamb Of God, Tool, Cynic (old&new)). Even Core stuff. CAUTION RHYTHMS SOUND WAY BETTER THAN LEADS. When I run this on the clean channel it sounds pretty good. I run it with an TS9 before it (the same way you run an Overdrive over a crunch channel to clean it up). Also I started running a Boss GE-7 after it the possibilities are great. (NOTE* Behringer and Danelectro EQs are just the same buy a cheaper one so you can save) I rate the sound quality letter grade: C, without Overdrive or EQ. B+/A-, With eq and overdrive. The sound is just a lot tighter and cleaner with the two.

It's an okay match because I play mainly in a tech/prog/fusion metal band. Though I wish it sounded better for melodies. But other than that it handles Low-End VERY well. Drop-A Seven string sounds very clear. Lay back on the gain though setting it past 50% is just stupid. If I lost this I would upgrade maybe to something tube driven but it's a good pedal to get for entry level for the price and durability.

It is very reliable. No worries. I would worry about it if I ran over a car with it. Maybe if you are buying it used open it up first and make sure it's fine. No worries about gigging without a back up. It's pricey enough where you shouldn't need a back up.

The way to get a good sound depends on the amp. I originally tried this on a amp with a tube preamp and a SS power amp. The sound was SOOO tiny. It sounds about as good as a Fender 15r distortion. PLAY THIS THROUGH A FULL TUBE AMP OR ELSE! Seriously I just put everything at 12 o'clock because it just sounds bad when you max any setting past 3 o'clock (75%). Considering the latter half of the reviewers seem to be newbs, I'll tell anyone now the sound is very dry and sterile. If you want to replace your amp distortion.

Mr Chrstopher
    *the grifallo: I have both this pedal and the Cube 15x and trust me - the Cube does not compare. I went one step further and bought the Boss ME25 COSM pedal to run through my amp, then I bought this a month later and the ME25 went straight on eBay! This is the best metal pedal I have played. Modelling amps/pedal dont compare.
    spencebot
    looks like all you guys bought this pedal WAYYYYY overpriced. i got mine for 69 bucks
    spencebot
    tfpoec2
    has anyone compared this to the metal master? I currently own a metal muff and have just tried the metal master this afternoon.