HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion review by DigiTech

DigiTech: HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion

Purchased from: Union Music

I use it with a Peavey Vypr 15. The amp's distortion is crap, but the TL-2 actually makes the amp sound respectable. I can get Iron Maiden, Rage Against The Machine, Megadeth, and other Thrash sounds. It gets noisy (duh), but only the standard buzz one gets when they're not playing.

I play Brit Metal (Maiden, Priest) and Thrash (Megadeth) and the TL-2 does the trick. The only problems I have is that I have to put the mid frequency knob up a lot, or else it sounds fizzy and undefined, and that my Dunlop Crybaby From Hell didn't really cut through for a while (until I fiddled with the Variable-Q knob). I like the 3-band EQ and how articulate it is; a slight turn of a knob is noticeable, allowing me to get exact artist tones. It's true bypass, so no tone loss, either. I wouldn't use it for classic rock, though, unless you drop of trebel a lot, or else it sounds too harsh.

As far as I can tell, it isn't breaking down any time soon. I don't need a backup. I ran out of ideas here, so mow I'm filling out character requirements. I mean, how much more can I say? It isn't going to break down. That's 256 characters right on the dot.

My guitar is a Kramer Strike (Plywood) with a Dimebucker, which is a hard combination to get a good sound of. That being said, the Tl-2 did the trick. The three band EQ worked wonders. With a normal setup (i.e. guitars with good wood balanced pickups), I assume getting good sounds is very easy.

bonokjb
    a perfect match for my sd jb tb-4 pup (on a jackson dk2) ...glad i chose this over mxr fullbore metal & eh metal muff...(been using mt-2 for years & still couldn't get the sound that i wanted)...
    Realityburn
    I'll be posting my own review of this pedal soon. It compares closest to the Boss Metal Zone, and in my opinion comes out on top.
    LastHorizon82
    ...and justice for all... small sound? The way that album was recorded/sounded gave it a unique atmosphere imo. Epic album!
    joshtsavo
    After months of using this i'm thoroughly convinced this is the best metal pedal on the market. I've tried Metal Muff, MXR Fullbore, tons of different pedals but nothing comes close to the sounds this will produce. I tried others just to see what all the hype was about, but for me, distortion begins and ends with the TL-2.
    joshtsavo
    Jesus dude. One reply is enough. lol I just got this on Ebay for $34 with adapter, couldn't pass it up. Got a few minutes on lunch break to play with it. Amazing sound quality, the Metal Zone always sounded too flat for my taste, this pedal sounds more like good amp distortion than any other pedal i've played. Super happy with the purchase. (PS: Running through an ESP LTD MH-1001NT and Line 6 Spider IV 75)
    cliff niesen
    Sucks! I own a Marshall Tube Amp and It is how you set the peddles up. Wah wah first, Then over Drives Like OCD, Rat, Then distortion. They say the Metal zone two is the worse, that is Bullshit I own the Metalbore, took it back sucks, this one Hardwire, it sucks it sounds like air running through the amp, it is 1 step ahead of Death metal pedal made by Digetech just like the Hardwire! I trayed all the metal pedals and the only 1 that is good with a Marshall Tube amp set clean or dirty is the Rat, The OCD, & Metal zone. Remember you have to set Wah, wah 1st the overdive, then distortion. Now if I was playing for 2 years I would want The Hardwire, the death metal, metal Bore, because they hide mistake. Now I play. for 20 years .I used the metal zone on clean channel . The OCD set dirty. Oh yeah the Rat clean sation.
    cliff niesen
    This sucks because it is not made fore tube amps like Marshall Tube. It has high gains but it just noisy with no real direction for control. The Metal Zone the dare put it down. The Metal Zone has Rock n Roll metal, in different stiles it just does not work with wah wah well.