Hot Head Distortion review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Hot Head Distortion

Purchased from: Kitarataivas

I have used this with my Marshall and a Chinese amp, and, surprisingly enough, it works very well with both of the amps. I've also used it with a Laney amp and, even though it didn't give the best sound that it could, it still worked rather nicely. I haven't tested it with any other guitars except my Squier Strat, but I don't think it would be too bad for any other guitars. The problem with the Hot Head is that it lacks the ability to give just slight distortion. It only gives a strong, sharp distortion or then the distortion just disappears. All in all, I think that Hot Head is very good for old school solos that need to be strong and sharp, but is not too useful in riffs etc.

I play all kinds of music, as you can see from my profile, slow acoustic to hardcore metal. I believe this pedal is best for rock solos, but I guess it could be used in other genres as well. I've been playing for four years now, if you want, you can check out my profile (for proof) I own a DigiTech Metal Master, Squier Strat, a Chinese amp and a whole lot of other junk. If it were stolen, yeah, I'd probably buy a new one. I wouldn't be running to the store but I would still buy a new one. I love the simplicity of it and I hate it at the same time. It is easy to use but it only provides very simple functions and is hard to get different sounds out of it. I compared it to the DigiTech Grunge distortion thing, but this somehow was more what I was looking for. I don't think that DigiTech has ever made a crappy pedal, but this could have more range in altering the sounds it makes.

I trust my Hot Head completely. I can depend on it nearly as much as on the fact that bio classes will be boring. No, seriously, Hot Head is worth the money if you need some power into your solos and need a reliable pedal. However, I would use a backup on a gig since they run out of batteries really easily. Or then just plug it in to the DigiTech charger.

Hot Head is surprisingly easy to use. When you first get your Hot Head, I suggest you use the pre-sets described in the booklet inside the package and start to alter them, one small step at a time. Hot Head won't give you those Metallica/Megadeth low, bass filled sounds, but if you're more into rock and/or indie, Hot Head will work miracles for you. If you really need to find a negative out of it, it is that the knobs are super-sensitive and that's why you should always write down the settings you used.

atommy_90
    sklthesaik wrote: Anyone know how to change the battery???? I got it as a hand-me-down, battery-dead, manual-free and charger-free..
    on the side of the actual press-down part youll find two metal bar-ish things. Press them both in and lift the press-down part up. There's your battery
    Ace Frehley
    Ok this pedal is good...not excellent.In some amps it sounds extremely awesome but In a peavy amp I played..pfff.man it sounded completely shit and sharpy.
    MetalicBlack86
    hey everyone....i own a DS-1....now i'm planning to buy a Hot head....According to my local music store....the owner mentioned that hot Head supposedly has a slightly heavier sound compared to the DS-1...is this true?....if not then what other distortion pedal should i buy that is a little more heavier sounding compared to DS-1...for as you know DS-1 is more of a classic distortion....so yeah...Please tell me whether there is any difference between DS-1 And the Hot head....Cuz i'm looking into buying the Hot Head...thanks Metalicblack86
    Tabman91
    i got a hot head...ive had it for over a year now and it still sounds great..it has a little feedback when the gain is past 3/4 of the way. other than that it is a great buy
    A7XSoul
    hot head.....it does great for classic rock but it just cant do metalcore that good. it dosent give that much of a squeel on my pinch harmonics, and i like alot of squeeling. maybe its my amp, cuz it did great at the store.
    A7XSoul
    bignick99
    i love this pedal, have the hot head the ds-1 and the jackhammer and the hot head blows them both out of the water, i mainly use it with my royal 8 practice amp and it sounds great but with my rocker 30 its not so good but then again with the r30 you dont really need a pedal.
    bignick99
    MetalicBlack86 wrote: hey everyone....i own a DS-1....now i'm planning to buy a Hot head....According to my local music store....the owner mentioned that hot Head supposedly has a slightly heavier sound compared to the DS-1...is this true?....if not then what other distortion pedal should i buy that is a little more heavier sounding compared to DS-1...for as you know DS-1 is more of a classic distortion....so yeah...Please tell me whether there is any difference between DS-1 And the Hot head....Cuz i'm looking into buying the Hot Head...thanks i would say the hot head is a touch heavier and a bit more usable due to having hi and lo tone controls rather than just the tone knob. but both are good noise makers, try them both but try and use the same guitar n amp in the shop that you own. Metalicblack86
    archerygenious
    Has anyone noticed that the hot head sounds a lot like a fuzz pedal at high gain? I just got one and it sounds a lot like my Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz pedal
    legend shredder
    i got one of these and they're mad. i can get a very heavy sound out of it on my epiphone les paul studio played through a kustom 12 guage, but the only thing wrong wif it is that it went through its first battery in 30 minutes. then on my second battery i found out that if u take the cords out the power lasts longer, so im still on my second battery but the light isnt lightin up so its nearly dead, but i reccomend buyin the power cord, which i have to do when i get bak from goin overseas.
    .QOTSA.
    Morbius77
    This is by far the WORST pedal I have ever used. It introduces so much signal noise that it is almost unbearable. I know it is the pedal because it is the ONLY thing in my rig that causes so much interference. I would write a review, but there really is no point. I should have bought a Boss Ds-1 and been done with it.
    gerbil_mastr
    .QOTSA. wrote: I reccoment this hands down, it made my 5 watt peavey valveking twice as nice, it gives you that nice solo tone. But i would say use it as a boost, not as your primary distortion, it sounds killer that way!
    Thats actually what i started doing. the distortion is kinda fizzy. not good for death metal but idk it would probably work for some people i'm goin to check out the ds1 and some other distortion pedals today
    Ace Frehley
    I think it only suits well for classic rock and maybe some hard.Don't try play metal.