JamMan Looper review by DigiTech

DigiTech: JamMan Looper

Price paid: A$ 145

Purchased from: Zzounds

Very easy to use, checked the instruction card once, picked it up almost straight away. Click once to start recording a loop, again to stop recording and play. Click once while loop is playing starts overdub, again to stop recording the overdub and play it. Hold the switch for 2 seconds while playing to undo an overdub. Push the switch twice stops the playback, and pushing and holding the switch for 2 seconds while playback is stopped erases the memory. The manual is great; a piece of card with the functions and light explanations on one side, and the warranty and company information the other! Couldn't be simpler.

This looper adds little or no noise to the circuit, and it has a volume knob to adjust the level of the loop. Stereo in and out is a welcome feature, as I also have a stereo delay which this fits in nicely with. I used to have a little noise when using the optional 9V battery, but now use a power supply and this problem is gone. It creates a great effect of multiple guitars (as any looper should when used properly), but I recommend that it is placed at the end of the effects chain (that is, between the amp and the other effects) to ensure that the sound you put into the pedal when recording the loop comes out the amp when playing back.

Very solid body, easily dependable upon, would not expect issues for at least 5 years or more. Strong finish, strong push-switch, and heavy-duty volume knob are all part of the package. I know I can always depend on this great little pedal for gigging, and not have to worry about it holding up to me standing on its switch. The finish is heavy-duty metallic blue that I'm sure will not be fading in a hurry. It is also very small in a great size for fitting into already tight pedal boards, and the velcro I use adheres well to the back of the pedal, ensuring it stays well stuck on during transport.

This looper is excellent for me, as I do not use it much, mainly for practicing and jamming with, but it is so easy to use I can use it effectively and efficiently without having to worry about other knobs, menus and features. For someone who wants a simple, effective and relatively cheap looper pedal, the Jamman Express is the way to go. Although you cannot save more than one loop (with overdubs) in the looper at once (when you record another loop you must first delete the saved loop), this is not a problem for me as I do not use the looper as an extensive part of my playing, usually only practicing. If you want to store loops, the Jamman Solo XT is better in that it can store up to 200 loops with an memory card, in a similar size, but is just another AUD$80.