JamMan Solo review by DigiTech

DigiTech: JamMan Solo

Price paid: A$ 2500

Purchased from: Music Connection

I use it with a Yamaha EG 112 guitar, a Peavey Rage 158 amp and a Cherub Technologies amp sim pedal for distortion, and I find it non intrusive on my sound. There is no hiss other than the natural noise of my guitar. The loops are recorded as mono CD quality wav files and could be used as a primitive recording device to make demos and such (just put a mic in the input socket to record vocals and drums and you're good to go). There are no digital artifacts or noises whatsoever. What you play is what you hear, and on that basis it gets a perfect score.

This is the entry level JamMan, and should be assessed as such. It is a great piece to practice with, such as improvisation, but can be used in a live environment. It is not handsfree however, and bending down to select different loops might be akward on stage. With an optional 32 gig SD card (not supplied) it can hold a maximum of 16 hours of loops. What this means is that you can load many many backing tracks, drumbeats or other sounds you might require onto the looper and improvise over them, or use it while performing, solo or otherwise. I personally like to turn the beat (adjustable in tempo, time signature and style) completely off. I have been playing guitar for 7 years and am well informed about all things associated with guitar. I would recommend this looper to bedroom practicers and people in small bands. If you need a looper for intensive live use, I would suggest that you fork out the extra cash and buy the larger JamMan Stereo, which is more refined and is handsfree.

The pedal chassis is made of metal, cast iron I presume, and feels heavy and sturdy. I have no doubt that this pedal would only malfunction after severe mistreatment, such as being dropped from a considerable height or getting liquid in its circuits. If I was to use it live I'd recommend using a battery as well as the included power supply (Looping stations draw a lot of current so its important to use an AC/DC adapter with the specified output). I have never had any problems with this pedal (really, nothing) and can't see a reason for any occurring, so I have to award it full marks.

The currency should be in Rand, as I live in South Africa. It amounts to about 200 Pounds. This is not a pedal that you intuitively know how to use. It takes a bit of concentration to work out the series of button presses needed to store or delete loops. Its a little finnicky, and but there is method to the madness. The actual recording of loops is a breeze though.

stijn rules
    meaby u guys wanna know, mine broke in less then 2 months without doing the wild stuff with it... don't buy it..
    guitbeat
    Hey guys just a question. I want to buy the JamMan just to play some backing tracks and sounds which I'd store in it. How do you play the stored loops without recording anything new? Can you play them simply pressing the pedal switch and stop them pressing it again? Thanks, I've seen videos and read posts but couldn't get it
    vanesishe
    I have owned one. Proved to be quite useless for me. But I have no complaints, it is good pedal and adequately does the job.