Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
DigiTech: Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion

I'm using this pedal with a Marshall amp with a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, with a HFS Paul Reed Smith Treble (Bridge) pickup. Any of the setting with this pedal sounds great with my guitar, just depends on the type of distortion you like. Theres never a time where the distortion sounds weak, unless your running it off a battery. This pedal sucks the life out of batteries and i believe that this is the only down side about it. You definitely need a AC adaptor. Yeah I can pretty much get the sounds of artist I play music from Creed, Metallica, System Of A Down (close enough) Three Days Grace, and so on. Whatever distortion is distortion your never going to get the real true sound of what the particular artist gets / uses be creative. The level control on the pedal I find is weird. No matter how high I have the level up it'll never go above my level of my clean channel. So there'll be a drop in volume when switching to distortion. I find the effects vairies, I'll get a weak sound, and then I'll get some excellent sound (off batteries).

I've been playing for about 4 years. I'm self tought, never taken any lessons what so ever. I've tought others how to play. The reason why i started guitar was because i became bored in my old home town and there was nothing else to do. My style of music is mostly Rock, Alternative, Metal, Some punk (very picky about it, i'm not the biggest fan of punk). I find that this pedal is a good match, i can't complain it fulfills my needs with my styles. During the school year I play in coffe houses weekly, played serveral times for other peoples bands, and for assemblies, talent shows, and other coffe houses. I usually just go solo, unless my friend and I find a good song, or write an other, and put on a show. Other gear that I own Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion; Boss TR-2 Tremolo; Ibanez CF-7 Chorus and Flanger; Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Pedal. I compaired this pedal with the Boss MT-2, I decided to go with this one, because I though it had a bit more rock to it, and plus my friend told me i should go with the Metal Master, so i was like" what the hell", but now I've wished I've gone with the Boss MT-2. I prefer Boss over almost anything, I just like the sound, I'm not trying to trash this digitec pedal, it's just what kind of sound you prefer. The only thing I wish that this pedal had was more control over the distortion you get. Like being able to tweak it a lot more. After using it for a while, you become very limited to what kind of sounds you can recieve. Thats what I like about the Boss MT-2 is that you have the ability to change so much with it's setting (I think I'm going to trade and Pick up a Boss), but overall I think this pedal is good so I give it a 4.

My experiences with this pedal, I'd have to say no, I can't really rely on this pedal. The sound is great and all, but taking it out and playing live, I'm nervous all the time, when I press down on the pedal, because it's cut out on me several times (and yes it's embarassing when you stomp on it and everything cuts out when your on a role!) This pedal is great for jam'n in the garage or just in your room with an adaptor, but live if your using batteries. Have fun but if you have a power case thingy, that powers all your pedals, rock on, but hey I'm not that desperate, I'll just stick to Boss pedals live. So yes I think I'd need a back up for live playing.

This pedal is pretty pain and simple, it's not complicated what so ever. There's only 4 nobs, so it's pretty easy to get around with this pedal. You got your Level, Low, High, and Morph controls at your command. The neat thing about the morph nob is that you can get different distortions from different pedals like DOD, Boss etc. Level, control the volume of the distortion, low and high mid. The higher the low eq the more "thump" you get the more High eq the shreding ear piercing. Personally I like to have a bit more "thump" into my distortion. I don't like to have ear piercing annoying distortion sounds.