Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

One word can sum up the sound of this pedal: amazing. The distortion is crisp and definitive all the way up to about 8-then it just goes to strictly rhythm guitar. At around 5 on the morph (distortion) knob, you get great Iron Maiden/Judas Priest distortion. At 7-8, you get a nu-metal distortion. Lower down, though, it makes for decent blues and mild jazz stuff. Not so great for punk/grunge, but hey, they make a Grunge pedal, too.

As stated from the title, this pedal is made for metal! Somewhat universal for alot of types of music, punk players stay away. I wish it would be a little better on the EQ standards, but I'm thoroughly impressed. I was really considering a Boss MT-2 to match my other pedals, but I just loved the punch this pedal gave for fast palm muting/heavy metal rhythm guitar. The MT-2 just seems to fade the faster you Pick. If you need a good metal distortion pedal or just a nice backup pedal, definitly give it a try. You won't regret it.

Decent construction, a little on the heavy side compared to a few of my Boss pedals, but who cares? It sits on the floor. As for durability, it fell down 15 feet of stairs coming out of my apartment in a rush. A little chip on the side and cracked plastic, but the pedal is still rock solid. I have a good idea my 80 bucks went into the construction. However, the level knob and morph knob are coming loose. Not sure if it's just from constant adjustment or from it's drop, but it's kind of annoying when I need to adjust a knob quickly and all it does is spin or adjust too much.

The distortion is dead simple-the more, the better. The EQ is crap: the bass knob does nothing but muffle palm muting. Treble is decent, but it could be better for lead guitarists' needs of a good solo pedal. Obviously, the level knob controls volume and if you put it at around halfway, it gives a little feedback if you dont start playing. Better shut the pedal off if youre not going to be playing with it on stage.