Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion

Price paid: A$ 110

I'm currently using this pedal through a custom hand-made guitar with hand-wound pickups through a Vox AD30VT with the clean setting on Boutique CL. The pedal doesn't feedback at all for me (but that may be because of the really good shielding on my pickups) and you can get the really nice heavy metal crunch, 80's metal crunch, or really thick Overdrive sounds. The effect only sounds weak if you deliberately go out of your way to do so, like turning the low all the way down, the highs all the way up and the morph all the way down, but otherwise, not much fiddling is needed to get a good to great sound. I was really surprised that this pedal could mimic the rhythm tone of Paul Gilbert, not perfectly but the nice crunchy quality of it is there, you can also get some nice heavy sounds like Behemoth and Metallica without that sound where it sounds too scooped, it stays heavy but consistently generates great tone. Overuse of the Morph knob could make your pedal sound really bad, but that's easily fixed by turning the morph knob up and down.

I mainly play shred, metal, heavy metal, black metal and some rock, this pedal can do it all, it's incredibly versatile, but a bit on the expensive side compared to other pedals. I've been playing for about 1.5 years, and I own a Jackson Professional and a custom hand-made guitar, a Vox AD30VT and a Fender Stage Front amp, I only use the Vox and the custom hand-made though. There's nothing I wish I had asked before buying this product, if it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again, unless DigiTech releases a better pedal. I love every bit of this pedal, great tone is simple to achieve from this pedal, only thing I hate is the fact it needs batteries, but that doesn't bother me so much. I compared it to several other Overdrive and Distortion pedals, mostly Boss and Vox, the DigiTech blew all of them out of the water. I wish it had an infinite power source so I wouldn't have to buy batteries or the adapter.

This thing is built like a tank, it weighs a ton too, even more-so than my Boss pedal, I think I'll be able to depend on it for quite a long time, I can't wait until I can play it through my new Peavey Valveking which is coming in 2 days. I would bring a spare battery or the optional adapter along with me if I were to gig with it, just in case, but so far it's been able to serve me with long battery life.

Getting a good sound out of this thing is really easy, four knobs, level, low, high, morph, the morph knob is basically the knob which affects your tone the most, have it turned to 7 o' clock for a really trebly thin sound, have it at about 11 for a nice chunky sound, have it at 3 for a really heavy scooped sound and have it at 5 for an incredible amount of gain, which is only really good for rhythm.

Rize
    the absolute best metal distortion pedal ever. period.
    cow7
    way to go Utah. (digitech's main place is in utah) this is an awsome pedal.
    currymonster
    this is such an awesome pedal i've had it for about 2 years and havn't got bored of it
    7stringuzr
    so does it have more gain than my Boss Metal Core pedal. just want to know since none has compared it to it yet