Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion

I'm using a Kerry King wartribe from BC Rich, and 30x cube from Roland. I'm also using a Dunlop Smart Gate to Kill the feedback, but I have to say, I hardly ever need it. The feedback from the metal master is suprising less than I anticipated, and it still manages to give great sustain. During my early years, I used an origianl crybaby, this doesn't work well at all with the metal master, but it's mostly the fault of the crybaby as it doesn't work well with any distortion. Kerry King himself has been known to use this, as well as Munky. It does acheive a great Slayer sound, which is excatly what I was looking for. The effect itself is quite noisy with a bit of level turned on, and even more monsterous with high and low on full. Even when the battery runs low, this pedal still manages to deliver full effect quality, right to the end, a very impressive feature.

I'm into very heavy forms of metal; thrash, death, black, so on and I can safely say that this pedal would be far more qualified for those purposes than the Death Metal distortion. It has a very clear sound no matter how high the level is, and always creates an interesting sound. If it got lost or stolen, I'd defintely get a new one, wouldn't think twice. hat do I love about it? Everything. I compared this to some Dunlop distortions, and to the Death Metal Distortion, but nothing could compare, it blew them out of the Park! I honestly believe that this pedal has it all, I wouldn't change thing.

This is a very durable effect in my opinion. I've dropped it several times without causing any damage. It's very sturdy and densly built, but very reliable. As mentioned before, it can produce a top quality sound even on a low battery, and I could never say that it's let me down. I would feel very confident about performing at a show without any form of backup, infact I don't think I would leave my house without bringing this along, even if I was only jamming with a few mates.

This is a very easy pedal to use. 4 different knobs fr 4 different purposes, all very easy to understand and use; Simple level control adds gain and a little volume, low control adds a lower crunch to the sound, high brings on the fuzz and the X series morphs the sound of the distortion. The manual states that's there's technically only 3 morphs in the x series, I would safely say there' 5. The manual is quite helpful, but I didn't really need to read it.