PDS-2000 Digital Sampler review by DigiTech

DigiTech: PDS-2000 Digital Sampler

Purchased from: Used

I had seen many pedals by that time, and I could surely say PDS-2000 Digital Sampler was a real rival for the similars from Boss, regarding sound quality. It had virtually no hiss, and the delayed and sampled sounds were a perfect copy of the Original clean. Superb.

That is the last one of the series "My beloved 1990 pedals" (the other ones were Boss DF-2 Superfeedbacker and Distortion and BF-2 Flanger, with respective reviews). I needed a delay pedal to complete my set, and my guitar expert buddies told me to buy a Digital Delay. Since I already had 2 Bosses, the logical decision would buying a 3rd one. It wasn't easy to find my way in the middle of offers that ranged from 130 to 200 USD. One day I stumbled in a ad with the Digitech. I was a bit skeptical because it was considerably cheaper than DD-3 and others from Boss. But my guitar expert buddy gave his approval and I bought it. No regrets. That thing made me proud, and I enjoyed every time I played with it. It was the cherry in the top the cake for me to achieve the tone I was looking for. Unfortunately, it shares the same fate as its mates in that wonderful rig I had: it has been discontinued, and the lucky guys want absurd prices for their used units. Now I have a modular made in Brazil Digital Delay. It's not as good as PDS-2000, will never be, but it's a good replacement since I'm just an old timer in a revival. At the end, I still miss the great time I had with PDS-2000 Digital Sampler. Combined with the Bosses, it was a perfect featured pedal, in despite of some complicated parts, but I put my hand in the fire for it. It could enrich any pedal board. Then and now. :)

Differently from my Boss pedals, PDS-2000 looked like made of tin or alluminum. However, it also seemed to be almost as hard and reliable as the its companions. The knobs and switches were firm, and also the pair of soft touch stomp pads, that controlled the Delay and Sampler sections. With an Allen driver, it was possible to improve the pads' sensitivity. The only odd thing was the P2 jack for the power supply. It was a bit of a problem, but I changed one of the plugs of the daisy-chain and the case was solved. In all my rehearsals and shows, it gave me no problem, a real good kid. One more reason it was as beloved as my Bosses.

PDS-2000 came with a lot of knobs and switches, with also a pair of soft-touch stomp pads. That could suggest it could be a complicated pedal. Take it easy, gang, because all the elements are very self-explanatory. The first 2 knobs in the right you can set up the ammount of input and output volume, to match impedance level. Cool, ain't it? Right beside it there is the first switch, that allows choosing among NORMAL (delay mode), SAMPLER, and TRIGGER (with an external footwitch). There 3 more knobs. One of them controls the MIX of the clean and delayed sound, while there other 2 that fine tune DELAY TIME and REGEN. In addition there is a last Switch with 3 fixed delay/sampling speeds: 125ms, 250ms and 2s. About the pads, one turned the DELAY on and off, and the other was for recording and trigerring the SAMPLER. The 2 effects couldn't be used at the same time. That's the way I remember. I thought it would be hard to find a good tweak for that thing, but as I was using it I could easily find a very good delay sound. As a matter of fact, I used much more the delay feature than the sampler. The sampler wasn't a very easy feature to use, specially during a gig, since I would have to disable the delay every time I used it. I would also had to stretch the time to achieve the 2s sampling. It was a problem since I used the pedal with the delay always on, due to my style. Anyway, considering it was the last pedal among those ones from 20 years ago, and I had it for less time than the others, I could say that I had no problems with the typical use of it. With a little more time with the unit, I would have done much more than I did.

Smart Patrol
    Just a shame nobody is insterested on commenting about PDS-2000. It was a great pedal, and the lucky guys + gals who own it are HAPPY PEOPLE.
    Smart Patrol
    The modular delay is not designed to work with an electric guitar. The impedance is low, so the sound distorts. Its designed to work with accoustic guitars, mikes or any other low impedance devices. Im still searching for a real guitar delay.
    Smart Patrol
    I finally found a very good replacement for PDS-2000: Ibanez De7 Tonelok Digital Delay Echo. I doesnt have the Digitechs sample feature, but has something far more useful: analog tape echo simulation. I have 2 delays in 1.
    howarddavidp
    I bought a DoD/Digitech PDS2000 used for $89(July2015), and it works great! I use it for Van Halen's Cathedral song, and once you adjust it, it sounds just like Eddy! Love this little pedal, works perfect after all these years, wooyoo!!! I use the middle 500ms setting(mine says 500 and not 250). I set this around 1 o'clock and the middle knob about 2 o'clock, sounds perfect.