RP100 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
DigiTech: RP100

Purchased from: Showtime Music

I personally use (used to use, actually) the RP100 with Marshall MG15DFX, a Boss GE-7 Equalizer, and a Paul Reed Smith Billy Martin SE, all of which are great items to own. The RP100 has a magnificent NoiseGate, almost too good of one, it almost harms the tone and murders pinch-harmonics. The effects are numerous and almost limitless, but that doesn't make them sound great, the distortion is by far the best, but many amplifiers can do better.

I like to play alternative/rock/metal, which the pedal can emulate nicely, but just not to the degree that a real artist needs. The only thing I wish, is that I hadn't bought this pain in the neck, the tuner is nice though. One thing that I hate the most about it is the extremely small knobs and foot switches. Not good when you mean to hit the one on the right, but where they are so tiny, you hit them both an go into bypass, not good for a gig.

I wouldn't trust it as far I could lob it off of a cliff, which is far, but that's besides the point. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't use it on a gig at all, it is by far not gig worthy, as many Multi-Effects pedals are not. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad pedal, for a starter guitarist and/or for personal use, but it just doesn't have what it takes to go live.

Getting a "decent" sound out of the RP100 is not very hard feat to accopmlish, but getting a "superb" sound out of it, you can't. In my opinion, (which others, I am sure, will disagree) you just can't get the greatest sound out of a Multi-Effects pedal. Sure you can tweak the tone, but it's made for multiple effects, not focusing on any particular one, and thus, creating a average sounding tone, more so based on the amp then pedal. Sure, there is a manual, but you really don't need it. Practically the entire thing is summarized on the pedal it's self. But alas, the manual is a great one, explaining every last intricate detail of what the RP100 can do, but again, not needed.