RP100 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP100

Purchased from: Guitar Source

When I use the RP100, I play either my old Ibanez GRX20 or my newer Ibanez RG321 (Mahogany), straight through it to my computer, or my speakers. It can be fairly noisy (feedback) on certain settings if you start turning up both the "Amp Level" setting and the "Master Volume", but only on the settings with certain Gates and Wah combined. The effects are NEVER weak, but if you are looking for INTENSE Rectified Distortion, you may come up short unless you have a powerful amp. The pedal can only pump out as much as your speakers/amp, so just keep that in mind. Can I get the sound of my favorite artists? Sure. It takes a little longer, but I can do it. You can get a nearly perfect Nickelback, Black Label Society, Rush, Boston, and GNR with some knowledge of what the settings do. I don't stick to my favorite artists, I just try to play everything, so I've noticed it can get close to some other bands too, but those five I mentioned, you can literally get an almost perfectly imitated tone. I'm giving Sound an 8 because of the noise it can make, I'd give tone a 9-10.

The RP100 will be a surprisingly good match for most styles. I can get a great tone for anything from Lynyrd Skynyrd and Stevie Ray Vaughan to Avenged Sevenfold and Metallica. I've been playing for almost two years now and own two Ibanez guitars, a Roland Cube 15, and a loud but crappy Crate 65XTR. I just use the Crate to run this Processor through, no joke. The tone on that Crate is absolutely terrible for anything other than Rectified Metal. If this were stolen/lost I would buy it again. It's cheap, reliable, versatile, and overall just a good buy. I love the versatility of the tone and the drum Machine. I hardly use it but it works wonders for inspiring song ideas and just flat out jamming when your band mates aren't around. The ONLY thing I wish it had was an actually pedal attachment to work the Whammy setting, but you can buy those, I just haven't. Overall Impression? 9/10. If you have $50-$80 to spend and you want a good Effects Processor, buy it.

Sure I can depend on it. I bought it used with scratches and a dent, and it still works perfectly. The case of it is extremely hard and durable. However, I wouldn't use it on a gig without a backup simply because I would never trust anything to last up no matter what. I would bring some other pedals just to make sure, but not another processor, no. Very durable.

To get a good sound out of this effects processor is just plain simple to say the least. You may have a few problems at first, and get frustrated, but I guarantee once you figure out what everything does, you can easily get a good sound in an instant. Mine did not come with a manual because it was used, but the online downloadable .pdf from the website is very precise and detailed. For an older product, the manual is great. I am not aware of the firmware revision number, and I do not think the firmware can be updated because there are no USB ports on this processor.

Nicoles
    British Josh wrote: jesus you paid 233 for this?!?!?! damn dude, you got ripped. i only paid 80 for mine
    One day they will start teaching Americans that there are other countries on this planet.
    foolishguitar
    Well, my advice, as i've got one, is that its good fpr practice but pretty bad for recording and live performance, recording, the rectify setting produced random levels of fine fuzz in the back ground, only when i played, but ye my rythmn guitarist described it as a bee in a jar, and live performance, its loses alot of volume , loadsa feedback attacks otehrwise, i dont think this is worth the money, save and get an amp
    Steve BP
    My brother-in-law lent me his unit to try out, and I was disappointed. I ran it through my Mesa Express 25, and it sounded terrible: it sucked tone, it was difficult to get stable volume levels across different effects, it hissed, it was not intuitive to use, and was very susceptible to humming and noise from other electronics nearby. This might have been okay when they first released the unit, but compared to what is available today, I don't think this unit is worth considering.
    Penn100
    A fantastic pedal for it's price. Really. I think I'll sit down and write a review for it, too.