RP1000 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP1000

Purchased from: zZsounds

I initiaaly tried using a tube combo with this in the clean channel but couldn't find my sound and I almost returned it. I started using the PA instead and was much better but still lacked some warmth. I ended up buying a Tech 21 Powerengine 60 (another $325), which is essentially a 60 watt powered monitor with a 12" Celestion guitar speaker and no tweeter or horn. So for the price of a decent tube combo, I now have a fleet of amps and cabs, and they all sound just like they are supposed to. The Tech 21 supplies clean uncolored power loud enough to hold it's own onstage. I use Fender mods for my cleans, Marshall and Mesa mods for my dirty stuff. I love the tap delay. The chouruses sound good but kinda boost the volume as well when you hit it. Compression works very well. There's a ton of different distortions. Some sound fantastic while others are lacking. Reverb is cool with several different options including Fender Twin Spring and Lexicon. The harmonizer FX are ok at best. They sound kinda fake and digital. Overall this thing rocks though and has definitely improved my live performances.

I play in a rock cover mand. This covers ALL my tones and FX needs. I've been playing for 30 years and have been thru alot of gear. I got this rig so I wouldn't have to haul a heavy tube amp around everywhere. If you are looking for immediate tome gratification this aint for you. I have 15 presets built and it took me 4 months of tweaking and band rehearsals to create them. I use this in pedalboard mode which essentially allows every preset to become a separate pedalbord scene, with different amps and FX combinations in each one that can be turned on and off just like a stompbox pedalboard, without the dancing. Another reason I bought it.

It's built like a tank. I have no issues with it at all in this respect. I have gigged with it and I will continue too. One note... The FX edit grid is recessed into the unit by about an inch or so to protect the rather flimsy plastic parameter knobs I'm guessing. Anything spilled on it would pool up and your RP1000 would be kaput!

I actually have the RP1000. It is very easy to navigate and edit the presets, the display is large, bright and easy to read on a dark stage. The manual is simple. I play in a rock cover band doing all kinds of material from clean to metal. It covers them all if you know your amplifiers and cabs and know how to go about building tone. The factory presets pretty much suck but they always do no matter what MFX you choose.

sim_1113
    I have the rp1000, Very easy pedal to use, I like using the computer program that came with the pedal to mess with the tones in real time and get everything just right. I use the peavey 5150 amp distortion with scooped mids on a bugera 333xl stack to get some dime-style metal tones, I think a fender amp for the cleans, been hugging with it for over 3 years now and I haven't even broke one of the plastic knobs, only way u can do that is if u are careless or clumsy. Lol I've even spilled beer and liquor on it on multiple occasions and its still going strong!
    feathers632
    I don't pay much attention to the arrogant opinions, people who dissmiss something because it's not "analog". Bollocks.
    megaluisdeth
    I own the digitech rp 500 and it's great!I'v been using it to record covers. My favorite amp model is the PV 5150. I've even used the "TS808" to boost my PV JSX.
    Mikef-ingwylde
    I love my rp1000, love the way it sounds, easy to use and everything, but during my last show it kept cuting out and I had to shut it down and restart it to get it to come back on. Anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem? any help would me appreciated. thanks.
    feathers632
    I have the RP500. It's a great effects board and even though my other effects unit is a Roland VG99 which has to be the ultimate in effects power, the Digitech has the footpedal and switches built in, very good range of sounds, easy to edit effects and great PC software. It's my preferred unit at the moment.
    MEGADETHGOD
    I am happy with everything but the tones, lol. Yeah, you buy a multi-effects unit for the sounds but I am not completely satisfied with the way it sounds. I do love the effects switching though. I love the fact that I can use pedal board mode, set up five presets and then use delay, chorus or effects on each preset individually. The wah pedal on it is crap, it is way too stiff. The tuner is also garbage compared to my boss tu-2. It does suffice though. I would definitely shop around more if I had the chance again. I am wondering if there is something better for the 500 I paid for it.
    Mikef-ingwylde
    OK. Randy Rhoad fans are gonna love this. I should keep this secret. haha. DS DISTORTION: GAIN 75, TONE 60, LEVEL 32. AMP: 900 JCM, AMP GAIN 89, BASS 8.9, MID 1.6,TREBLE 7.3, AMP LEVEL(I HAVE IT AT 53. AJUST TO YOUR SETTINGS OF YOU OTHER CHANNELS) EQ:LOW 0,1600 HZ, MID -2,3150 HZ HIGH -12, NOISE GATE ON (A.0,R70,AT99) CHORUS: MULTICHRS,POST,SPEED 20, DEPTH 80, TRIANGLE, LEVEL 70. NO DELAY BUT i GOT MINE TOGGLED AT: 380MS, REPEATS 50,QUARTER, DELAY LEVEL 11. I USE THIS LIVE WHEN I PLAY THE SPOT LIGHT SOLO AT THE SLOW PART. REVERB: LEX ROOM,DECAY 75, REVERB LEVEL 30. I HAVE A MARSHALL MG 100 AND I JUST USE MY CLEAN CHANNEL SET AT. GAIN3 BASS5 MID5 TREB3.5. I really hope someone tries this and gives me some feedback. peace!!
    Mikef-ingwylde
    Well I factory restored it again, this time I didn't load all of the patches that I got off the internet. I don't know I guess maybe one of them was screwing the whole thing up. I really dont know. Its been a few weeks now, tho gigs later(one lasting over 5 hours =}) and it works great. knock of wood. I'll keep everyone posted if I have any more issues. I love the way mine sounds and functions. Did you try adjusting the eq? I hate the factory settings. I programed my own. I made one that to me sounds just like Randy Rhoads. It also sounds good with poison and megadeth covers. I also made a Slash program that sounds a lot like Sweet Child O Mine. I didn't follow off of what there rig is. I kinda got creative a little. If you want I might be able to post the setting. I think you'll like em'
    feathers632
    Line6 get ridiculed a lot. Never owned one myself so I wouldn't jump in and trash one. My other effects unit is Roland VG99 with GK3 pickup. There's a lot to like about the Digitech. Well thought out effects switching in a compact unit. Good range of sounds, audio input, XLR outputs, very clear and concise patch editing and even better when done on a PC.
    Mikef-ingwylde
    I would also like to add that I had purchased the product less than a month before it started acting up. I did the factory reset, and got it setup the way I wanted again, even better this time. thought I had it running good, and it started malfunctioning again. I really wish i could figure this out. Musicians Friend is pushing it off to Digitech and Digitech is telling me to send it off to get repaired. That company said I wont get it back for a while. WTF. I havn't sent it yet. Really starting to get pissed!
    ctgblue
    The main thing I liked about this was being able to bypass the amp models if I wanted. I also like the models a lot better than the Line 6 X3, easier to find the right tone and dial in effects. Since my amps are so good I sold it and got a GNX2, just for some mild modulation effects and the on/off wah pedal.
    Calistoga Kid
    I have the RP500 myself. Since I couldn't afford a good amp, I bought this and a Kustom KG212FX. I don't even waste my time with the dirty channel on the amp. It's strictly a power booster, and the Digitech does all the work. To be fair, I'm not playing anything beyond a few local dive bars anytime soon. But, it does everything I need it to.
    madh4ttr
    had the rp500 for a year or so and could never find much i liked about it. cant imagine the rp1000 is gonna be any better, just more bs options. i now have the line6 hd400, which seems to be much easier to dial in better tones
    COREYTAYLOR721
    digitech rps r horrible the effects sound the worst only one i like is the crystal and the bludrive wish i could sell mine no one prob wants it.