RP1000 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
DigiTech: RP1000

Purchased from: MUSIC123

In my opinion it is totally impossible to get anything even closely resembling a "good sound" from this device, at least for those who can recognize the quality of tonal differences. The manual goes deep enough to get one lost; many functions seemed vastly different that what the instructions implied. The loop function did manage to snag about 3 notes, once, and you had to be absolutely quiet to hear those. Presets tend to go away on their own, as well as reappear on their own along with some you have never seen before. You can never be exactly sure what the pedal will activate, set it for wah and you get volume, sometimes nothing at all. It is indeed a Chinese made product.

The RP1000 sounds like exactly what it is: a poor Chinese made copy of a once decent product manufactured in the USA. I've played the RP1000 next to the pedals it supposedly emulates and the tonal variations are huge. Even the DigiTech branded pedals supposedly emulated by this processor sound like little more than cheap copies of the originals they share their names with. Top quality cables (Monster Rock) plugged into a Marshall amp sounds great with the device out of the loop entirely, plug it in and the sound quality drops to that of one of those $99 zero to hero everything you need to be a rock star outfits. I purchased this when I saw it go on sale; had I been able to read an HONEST review, I definitely would have continued looking elsewhere.

This product appears to me to be poorly made, as if numerous corners were cut during the manufacturing process. Buttons demonstrate a tendency to hang up right from the start, the casing looks to be made from a very low grade pot metal. It would appear that poor grade connectors were used in this product, attributing to its less than desirable tonal qualities. I have reservations about it being able to withstand even light bedroom use, I would not think about gigging with it. I have used it in house only far enough to know that I do not like it and it does show signs of wear, and we're talking less than a full day's practice if you combine the times for every time it was turned on.

I got my first guitar in 1967, so yes I have seen the rise and fall of many companies in the musical industry. Over the years I have played everything from Bach to ZZ Top with a lot of Blues thrown in along the way. There was a time when the brand DigiTech could be associated with high quality products made here in the USA; it would appear that is no longer the case. DigiTech has entered into a marketing scheme whereby products are developed here in the USA, with initial production runs taking place at their Sandy, Utah Factory. They roll the products out to the usual fanfare including the blaring, in your face "MADE IN USA" advertisements, and once the product line has become firmly established DigiTech quietly outsources production to China, neglecting to remove "Old Advertisement Images" depicting the MADE IN USA label. If it really does not matter, then why is MADE IN USA emblazoned across the front of the product in bold, bright white lettering, while the MADE IN CHINA label uses smaller print and is affixed to the bottom? If outsourcing truely is about cost reduction, would it not be cheaper just to change the "USA" to CHINA"? I mean get rid of 2 letters and add 3 as opposed to totally retooling to print the misleading "Designed and engineered in the USA" while having to produce an additional label for the Made in China found on the bottom? I would definitely not recommend this product to anyone; if the product had been honestly advertised Inever would have even considered purchasing it, which is exactly why both retailer and manufacturer chose to use outdated, misleading images in their advertising campaigns. Nice ruse, manufacturer not responsible for the retailer's "Cataloge Errors", retailer just using what the manufacturer provides; I guess that means that you and I, the consumers, bear the responsibility for being misled? I don't know about the rest of you, but I really do hate being lied to.

purplexing
    lol something tells me that guy never even had an rp1000. The majority of the review was him bitching about the fact that they're made in China now. Nationalism the passion of idiots.
    leochen1960
    looks like "made in china" is the real concern to you. not the tone, not the product built quality, not the price...
    dewdude2112
    Anyone who can't get a handful of usable sounds with the RP1000 is a complete moron. NONE of these MFX units replace your favorite tube amps...no matter what the adverts say- so if you prefer that just use that. But...if you want 5 (or more) easy to use guitar sounds and ability to switch all your effects in and out (like a pedal board)...this may be a good option. You DO need some patience and adeptness...and put the signal into the right rig. I don't use the noise gate (I like my signals natural- I sue the vol/ pedal between songs) and I use cab sims very sparingly since I got to a poweramp/4x12. The tones are in there. MFX makes YOU the engineer and some people just aren't cut out for it. They OF COURSE are not perfect tube amp tones- use the tube amp for that. For 250-300 bucks it's a nice tool to have along WITH your fave amps.
    scottmandoo
    I have a rp-1000. I run it through a stereo chorus 2x12. it sounds awesome. if you cant get good sounds through the rp-1000 you must not be doing something right. it does sound better through an amp versus headphones. just my 2cents.
    theresa.krall.7
    If you can't find some usable tones from RP1000, you should not be playing guitar. The 5150 factory preset alone is usable direct to board. It's true it's not the amps it models, nor the pedals- sometimes not even very close. It's not perfect and nothing is- but there's enough options to find your sound without a bunch of headaches like HD500 gives you. 4 cable method integrates seemlessly with your current amp.
    johnnythai12
    i have tried many different fx units and they were all great, but the Digitech Rp1000 was Axecellent !!! Hundreds of possibilities and all of the fx are outstanding… having a 20 second looping option totally helps me get more creative with melodies and mini-sequences…the display window is very easy to see and read, which is a pretty big deal for me since i don't see very well anyway, so this is Axetremely helpful on stage... i finally found an fx unit i can push to it's limits as much as it pushes me to mine !!!
    Evergrey
    Digitech ruined the hole current RP line with faulty noise gate wich ruins hole units. U cant use external either and they are refusing to fix it. Google: rp1000 noise gate