RP150 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP150

Purchased from: Music Corner Whyalla

I'm using it with a Jackson DX10D Dinky and a 10 watt squire amp and it's made that poor rig about a million times more versatile. The thing I like about this pedal is that it sounds pretty much exactly the same on any amp you plug it into, I had my patch dialed in how I liked it and it sounded good on my gear then when I plugged the pedal in to a borrowed amp for a gig it sounded pretty much identical which was pleasing especially if you have to use borrowed gear a lot. It can be a bit noisy but it has a noise gate built in which is very effective and can be adjusted to be as sensitive as you want. Once you've got you're basic straight tone sorted out and then you want to use that with another effect like a phaser, vibrato, delay or whatever that is easy to do and they can all be tweaked quite heavily and also sound pretty good. I haven't been able to get the sound of any artists really but I have been able to get good metal rhythm and lead tones, nice cleans, and slightly overdriven bluesy tones. The effects are solid, not great by any means but good enough. If I could afford individual effect stomp boxes and a tube head and cab I'd definately take that over the pedal, but considering it is cheap and has just about everything you can think of on it it's great for a beginner to get in there and play around and hear what different effects sound like.

I mostly play most types of metal from classic to thrash to power to prog and it doesn't handle it too badly but it took quite a long time to get there. I've been playing on and off for about 3 years and the only other gear I have is my dinky, a squire and my 10 watt amp. The only thing I wish I had have asked would be what my parents were planning on getting me for christmas, I would have rather put $300 towards a new amp. If it were stolen/lost I probably wouldn't bother getting a new one. The main thing I like about it is that it sounds so much better then my amp on it's own and it has so many things to play around with. The most useful thing about it is that I can leave my guitar tuned to e standard but play in Eb or D or whatever using the pedal which works surprisingly accurately believe it or not which is great for me because my guitar has a floyd rose trem. The thing I dislike about it is that it has so many distortion, amp and cabinet models (2106 possible combinations to be exact) but only about 3 of those combinations work well for a good metal tone (after gain and equalizer tweaks and all that crap). I didn't compare or choose this product because it was a gift. I wish that overall that the models were better. For everyone reading this only buy one if you're a beginner or something Who can't afford a new amp but want something to improve the sound of the amp that came in your starter pack.

As far as the build quality goes I'd say it seems very solid to me but maybe there's just a bit too much plastic, I wouldn't want to drop it from too high. The actual foot pedals themselves seem pretty solid, I'm about 3 months down the track and they still feel the same as the day I got it. It feels like it should hold together fine as long as you're careful with it. I would use it at a gig without a backup because I'm not about to go out and buy another one.

First up I'd just like to point out that this new line of RP pedals (150, 250, 350) are far better than the old RP80/100/200 which I guess is because of the new processor. They do still sound digital but not like digital crap anymore. The pedal comes with 50 presets and some are pretty cool but tone-wise most are pretty average. Editing patches isn't too difficult when using the pedal itself and becomes far easier when you connect it to your PC which was quite hassle free for me. Even though it is easy to get in and change everything, finding a combination of distortion, amp and effects settings which sounds good can be very difficult especially when you're after a metal tone. Even though I've had some trouble getting the sound I want many people haven't as shown by the rapidly growing sound community on the DigiTech website Who have made upwards of 100 patches last time I visited it. Many of these patches are quite good and at the very least give you something to tweak to your own preference. The instruction manual for the it is good, it goes through every possible thing you can select and what the different knobs do to change the sound of each effect. ie if you're in the equalizer the first knob is bass, second middle, third treble.

eisforme
    I disagree with the review. I have the RP250(a step up from the RP150). It has more effects, amp models and most importantly, an expression pedal. For the extra $, it's worth the upgrade. Otherwise, you can plug in an expression pedal to the rp150. Anyway, I've had this unit for about 3 months. I do agree that it's a lot better than the rp80/rp100 series. There are many ways to get the sound you are looking for. As stated above, you can use the presets as a reference and then tweak from there. With some patience and knowledge you can find what tones you're looking for. Use the EQ and try adjusting the volume on your guitar. Sometimes, keeping it lower sounds better. Look, if you're looking for 'analog tones', you're not going to match it with digital, but I will say that these processors are very impressive. I've heard several recordings using the pedal that sound really good. Of all of the effects processors, these are the best I've come across (all around). Don't buy effects processors and complain about the tone, you know what you're getting into. As for the average guitarist who wants a plethora of effects at their feet to mess around with, this is what you're looking for. Also, the RP350 has a lot of output options for gigging. For the price of 1 or 2 stomps you can have one of theses. I've never heard of someone getting one and regretting it...
    Diamond Dave
    eisforme wrote: Don't buy effects processors and complain about the tone, you know what you're getting into.
    well thats just it, i didnt buy it it was given to me. And when you say you disagree with the review does that mean you think i was too harsh on the pedal? I guess i wasnt that clear in the review though, this pedal can get great clean to bluesy to rock tones but seeing as i primarily play metal that is why i focused on the fact that it is no where near as good at pulling those tones off. (the dual rectifier model is awful) Anyway, i only came back here to report that i'm experiencing a faulty output jack which is bizarre as far as im concerned because i took it out the box, plugged it in and ive never unplugged it and now it just starts crackling and the signal gets broken up completely and i know its the amp output jack because it still works through the headphone output and you can also get it to work again by fiddling with the lead.