RP150 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP150

Purchased from: imuso

I use this with an Epiphone SG and a rubbbish practice amp and it makes them sound pretty good. My amps always had feedback problems but the noisegate sorted that out effectively, but makes the sustain awful. The effects are pretty good for a multi FX pedal and don't sound too weak but the distortion is very hard to use as you have so many different gain and tone settings. The high-gain distortion is particiularly bad.(you can't actualy hear any notes) The only thing that sounds really good is the chorus, which if you use with a clean tone and reverb is very effective. I'm now starting to wish I got the RP250 which has an expression pedal. Without one you can't use the Whammy features or the wah and that's really annoying.

This pedals good for the all-rounder or for a beginner who just wants some good FX and amp modelling. Warning: metalheads should stay well away. I've been playing 6 months and can now play solos like Metallicas-one and GN'R's November Rain. If it were stolen/lost I'd buy the RP250 or get a better amp. This pedal is a typicl multi FX pedal: it just can't beat individual stompboxes.

I've never really gigged so I don't know. Still I've dropped it a couple of times and nothings exploded. The case is hard and can survive a few knocks and scrapes, but you really need a bag to carry it around, because it's pretty damn heavy! It's never cut out on me before but sometimes it randomly deletes my patches, which is weird.

When I got this I switched it straight on using the fairly easy-to-use manual provided. It fits in with my rig (Epiphone SG and a rubbish practice amp) quite well considering it's my first pedal. Cycling through the tone and effects library is easy if you use the manual but after a while it becomes boring. Also reaching down and having to adjust the tone using the knobs is annoying when you're halfway through a great solo, but what are you supposed to do about that? I think the x-edit is great for this as it makes editing patches a lot easier and you can download other peoples patches which are normally OK. The major downside is that you have to work for hours to get a good rock/metal tone and the manual doesnt't really advise you on how to do that.

cody_ward2000
    how can u make it sound like a dreadnought acoustic, i like playing acoustins so much but electrics are eassier to move your fingures around and more comfortable
    poipoi
    Is it really impossible to use the whammy without exp pedal (I know you wont be able to 'slide') and isn't there a autowah?
    SGSamurai
    ya you can use whammy without an exp pedal, but u cant do divebombs or anything. there isnt really an autowah