RP150 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
DigiTech: RP150

Purchased from: Matchetts Music Belfast

The setup I use is a Dean Razorback V into the DigiTech RP150 and then into my Marshall MG 30DFX, to be able to use it with my amp the channel on my amp has to be set to clean as the unit provides built in distortion. The unit is fully midi compatible, but if recording to your computer I would recommend turning off your amp as it starts to make a buzzing noise when you connect it to your amp and your computer, when you have your amp turned off you wont be able to hear your playing unless you use headphones or have studio speakers. The effects from this unit always sound great. If you use the Xedit program to adjust the presets you can quite easily achieve your favourite artists sounds, for me I listen to a lot of Slayer, Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden and Trivium and I find it quite easy to get the sound of them from this unit.

I play a lot of metal and I think this pedal has a lot of great potential for a lot of metal settings to be input into it to cover a lot of great metal artists. I have been playing for about four years now, I only have a wah wah pedal from Dunlop, I spent all my money on a Dean Razorback V, which was totally worth it if I must say. If I had the choice wether to buy this again or something different I would probably shop around a bit more for something that is a bit more easier to use, and maybe more practical for Live performances.

I wouldn't totally rely on this unit if I was going to use it at a Live gig, you would probably have to pause every time your going to change setting, I don't think the audience would be too happy about that, however if you are for using this unit in the studio I think it is a great Tool but other than that I wouldn't take it out with me.

To get the preset tones out of this pedal it is just a matter of pushing the bank up or bank down switches with you foot, but if the preset tones are not what your looking for then to navigate around and tweek with the preset tones can be quite a challenge. There are knobs on the unit to adjust the presets but I find it easier to link up to my computer and use a program called Xedit which can be downloaded from the DigiTech website to change the presets. Using the program Xedit we can choose just how much of any one effect we want.

yarzo
    For $100, you cannot go wrong with this pedal. I use it with a Roland EV-5 Expression pedal which I already had. The Whammy feature is worth the price of admission alone. I don't really use the amp modeling, just the effects.