RP150 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP150

Purchased from: www.musiciansfriend.com

I am using this unit with my Ibanez and my Behringer GMX 210, and they blend perfectly. It can get a bit noisy with high gain, but the built in noise gate can take care of that without choking your sound. It maybe adds 1db of extra noise, but it really isn't noticeable. You can get just about any artist's sound out of this. I've gotten some Rhoads-ish tones, John Christ tones, Zeppelin, Yngwie, Criss Oliva, you can get it all. Plus, if you register it at DigiTech's site (sadly, I haven't yet) you can download models directly from the site. All the effects are great, but in my experience, the delay is a bit crappy at about the 12th fret or so, but everything else is great.

I play mostly metal, especially thrash and shred, but I also love this when I play blues, classic rock, jazz, or even classical guitar. It's a perfect match for any style. I've been playing since I was 6, so for about 11 years, and this is the best pedal I've ever used. I'm recommending this to all of my students! If this were stolen, I'd either buy a new one, or check out some of the higher-end models in the RP series. I really love everything but the delay, but I just use the delay on my amp, so it's perfect. My favorite feature is the built-in model of the classic Ibanez Tube Screamer. This is really the best pedal I've ever used, and it replaces the mess that is a pedalboard. The only thing I wish it had was a presence control, and a wider EQ.

This thing is very dependable, and it's solid construction means it can take some serious abuse. It has a level of reliability and durability that I've never seen I would feel confident enough to do a whole tour without a backup, but, as a rule, I keep an extra distortion pedal with me at all times.

This unit is really great, and for only $150 it is practically a steal! At first, it can be slightly confusing, but once you get the hang of it, it's really easy. The difficulty is only caused by the sheer volume of effects on it. The manual is very detailed, but nothing replaces experience.