RP150 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP150

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I use this pedal with my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and it sounds great. Although most of the default presets weren't that great, there were a few good ones. This pedal came with a great acoustic simulator and a good 12-string simulator, which I think the two are worth the $150 alone. It would cost me quite a bit to buy an acoustic that plays as well as my Les Paul, so I think that being able to just change the sound of my guitar to sound like an acoustic is awesome. The rest of the presets I have pretty much changed by now. Once you start editing presets there's pretty much endless possibilities to the multitude of sounds you can get from your guitar. I have several presets which make my guitar match the exact sound of some great guitarists, like Angus Young, Eric Clapton, and Slash. Even though this is a multi-effects pedal, the individual effects don't seem to be sacrificed. The distortion is great, the noise gate works well, and the amplifier models which are built-in on this pedal sound pretty good. With this pedal you can get pretty much any sound you want out of your guitar.

I play mostly Rock and Metal and this pedal does the job. I have never owned a guitar pedal before, so I thought a multi-effects pedal would be a good investment, that way I could try out different guitar effects at once. I was originally looking at the RP 90, but when I went to The Music store they had this pedal for the same price. It was a newer model than the RP 90 so it had more effects and it had the ability to hook up to a computer to change presets, which I thought was pretty cool, so I decided to buy it instead. I have two guitars, an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and a replica Stratocaster, and this pedal works great with both of them. I thought it would be great to be able to change the sound of my guitar easily so I decided to buy a multi-effects pedal, and it was a great decision. I like the fact that you can Switch between presets easily. It can Switch very easily between different presets and sounds, like I can play Beatles songs one second and Metallica songs the next. One thing I love about this pedal is the fact that it has a headphone port on the back. I can plug in headphones and play my guitar without my amp, so even if it's 3 in the morning and I feel like playing guitar (which I've done a few times) but everyone's still sleeping, I can just use my headphones. There is only one thing I do not like about this pedal so far, the fact that it does not have a power Switch. To turn the power on and off you got to plug and unplug the power cord. I found it strange that DigiTech made a point of mentioning this in the manual yet did not bother to simply add a power Switch to this. In my opinion this pedal is well worth the money.

This pedal is rock solid, with the case being metal and the pedals being a hard plastic. It seems like it would survive a 10-foot drop, but I don't want to test it. Although the knobs seem like the could be broken off if you hit the side of them, they are inset on the pedal so unless your an absolute clutz they should be fine. I have never gigged before so I'm not sure as to whether I'd use this or not, but if I did I wouldn't bother bringing a backup since this unit seems like it's unbreakable.

When I first bought this I thought that it might be quite complicated to use, but once I read the manual a bit I realized it was pretty easy to understand. Once you realize how it works you don't need the manual anymore, everything is clearly marked on the RP 150. The foot pedals allow you to cycle through the presets, while the knobs allow you to Switch effects on and off and change effect settings. It comes with 50 default presets, and another 50 which you can set yourself. For the most part the default presets are decent, but after playing with this for a bit your going to want to start making your own. Another feature this pedal has is a built-in Chromatic Tuner, which is quite accurate. To tune your guitar just press and hold both foot pedals, and the note will show up in the display and your pitch indicator appears on the leds, pretty simple to use. You can even hook this pedal up to your computer and edit presets directly from your computer, which is pretty neat since it allows you to more easily edit presets. You can even go to DigiTech's website and download presets made by other people and put them on this pedal.